Talk

Advanced search

What is the trick for a perfectly painted ceiling?

(12 Posts)
GoingLoopy Thu 22-Sep-11 13:18:56

We have flat ceilings in a fairly sunny room. I am painting them white and the way the light catches the ceiling you can see the lines of the roller - it looks very patchy. I am on my second coat and it doesn't seem to be looking any better. Its a big room and too much hard work to make a mess of it!

Any tips please!!!!

RedHelenB Thu 22-Sep-11 13:45:10

That's where a noce swirly pattern on your ceiling comes into its own!!

SamsGoldilocks Thu 22-Sep-11 13:46:11

ask someone else to do it?

minipie Thu 22-Sep-11 14:01:06

Is this when the paint is wet? Perhaps the lines will disappear when dry?

If not, then it may be that you have too much paint on the roller so it is squidging out at the ends iyswim.

nocake Thu 22-Sep-11 14:17:47

I find that a bloke called Brian is the secret to a perfect ceiling. He does a lovely job and doesn't charge very much smile

GoingLoopy Thu 22-Sep-11 14:20:19

thanks - yep, if it doesn't look right once its dry then will get a professional to come and do it! Don't think its too much paint on the roller, I am rolling for a long time to spread the paint out. IT looks perfect from underneath when I am looking up at it while painting and it looks great from where I am sitting now, its just from theother side of the room when the sun shines across it it looks bad.

GoingLoopy Thu 22-Sep-11 14:21:33

Need to find a Brian! Does he spray the ceiling? that's the only way I can think would make it look perfect, or maybe I am using the wrong roller?

lubeybooby Thu 22-Sep-11 14:24:00

I always do two coats of 'one coat' paint which seems to work. White is the worst for needing extra coats. I had to do four coats once before I started my one coat paint only for ceilings rule

GoingLoopy Thu 22-Sep-11 14:38:37

hmmm, lubeybooby, thanks for the tip.... 4 coats on this ceiling shock! Where is Brian!

AutumnWitch Thu 22-Sep-11 14:42:56

If you're just painting them white, there's a "magic" paint that goes on slightly pink so you can see where you've been, but dries white.

Maybe do a second coat, but at 90 degrees?

DorisVinyard Thu 22-Sep-11 15:15:56

I do the same as lubey - two coats of "one coat".

GoingLoopy Thu 22-Sep-11 15:16:55

thanks AW, will try the 90°.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now