Talk

Advanced search

Odd house sale history or is it just me????....

(18 Posts)
Becaroooo Thu 22-Sep-11 12:22:42

House I am intersted in...3 bed, 3 storey late victorian end terrace with a decent size walled garden.

Just checking the sold price history on Rightmove and am a bit hmm...

House was sold in June 1999, then again in Nov 1999 (up in price by £25k so assume they made lots of improvements in that time?)

Then sold twice in 2000....In May and then again in August (for £1,000 more than it had been bought for in May)

The present owners have been in since 2005.

wdyt???

minipie Thu 22-Sep-11 12:28:09

Does seem a bit odd to have 4 sales in 2 years. Being cynical it would probably make me be on the lookout for some sort of hidden problem that only becomes apparent after a couple of months in the house! But in reality there could be all sorts of non-worrying reasons for it, and the current owners have been there a long time so that is reassuring.

Becaroooo Thu 22-Sep-11 12:28:59

Do you think 6 years is a long time???

ColdSancerre Thu 22-Sep-11 12:29:58

Does transfer of ownership say in a divorce or on death count as a sale for this?

rubyrubyruby Thu 22-Sep-11 12:31:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paddingtonbear1 Thu 22-Sep-11 12:40:01

4 times in 2 years does seem a bit odd.
I was thinking along the same lines as rubyrubyruby - could it be nightmare neighbours who have now moved on?
We bought our house in 2005. Between then and now, the house across the road has been sold twice - both times due to the couples separating.

kitsmummy Thu 22-Sep-11 12:42:05

I'd automatically think it was haunted, but DH would say I'm ridiculous! I would go round and speak to them about it, there may be a genuine (eg neighbours or similar) problem that is now resolved. If they seem shifty then I'd steer clear of it.

Sidge Thu 22-Sep-11 12:49:41

Death?
Divorce?
Bankruptcy?
Relocation?

Either that or it's haunted.

PorkChopSter Thu 22-Sep-11 12:53:52

Would change in ownership from a couple to one of the couple count? Can you cross reference the electoral roll?

Whorulestheroost Thu 22-Sep-11 13:24:12

Have you been to view it and got a feel for it? The current owners have been there for 6 years which is quite a while. I do agree though it is odd especially if it's a decent size house. Is it on a busy road or can you notice anything which may be driving people to sell up?

teejwood Thu 22-Sep-11 13:33:34

becaroo if ownership was steady between 00-05 and then 05-11 then that does not sound particularly problematic imho - although you are right to look into it.

the housing bubble was still building up steam in 99 so perhaps people were buying and selling to try and make a quick buck. then you had the tech bubble burst in 00/01 so some people may have had to cut their cloth and downsize after redundancy. or it could be there were nightmare neighbours over those years who have now moved on.

if you like the house it's worth checking it out rather than being put off...

feedthegoat Thu 22-Sep-11 13:39:31

The short period of lots of sales is a little odd but there could be a reasonable explanation. I don't think there is anything odd about 6 years. I left home 17 years ago and the longest I have ever owned a house for is 5 years.

RedHelenB Thu 22-Sep-11 13:53:15

I live on a cul de sac of 22 houses all built at the same time and two of them have been sold more than twice in a 15 year period, the rest have the original owners more or less.

Becaroooo Thu 22-Sep-11 16:44:28

Thanks all.

My dsis knows the lady who sold it in 2005 so will get her to ask if she knows anything of the history.

As for bad points.....havent looked round it yet (viewing on saturday)
1. Its near a local school (which is a plus for me tbh with 2 schoolage children who go to said schools!)
2. There is no off road parking (although other householders have paved the front garden and provided a car parking space that way so thats an option) 3. The kitchen needs replacing too but not a major issue for me.

SparklePrincess Thu 22-Sep-11 17:39:17

Does sound a bit strange... See what the ex owner says, they have no reason not to be honest with you. smile

Becaroooo Thu 22-Sep-11 17:53:17

smile

lucyspangle Fri 23-Sep-11 20:01:19

Haunted.

WetAugust Fri 23-Sep-11 21:08:28

2 sales in a year could be because it was part-exchanged to builders, i.e. owners sold it to builders who sold it to new buyers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now