Talk

Advanced search

Knock out fire surround

(5 Posts)
bananamam Sat 17-Sep-11 18:54:05

we just had new central heating put in which included the removal of an old back boiler and hideous gas fire.

So now we have a redbrick(fake??) fire surround and mantel. The plumber glued a bit of plywood over the hole.

Does anyone know roughly how much it will cost to have the surround ripped off and plastered over?

I'd consider doing it myself toogrin. I guess we would just have it plastered straight down(it's on the chimney breast) rather than remade to look like a fireplace and just have it look like a wall.

Sure the back boiler is still there so will we need to brick that in??

I'm not too DIY esque but willing to do anything so I can crack on with decorating!!

TIA

sixtiesqueen Sat 17-Sep-11 19:03:00

depends where you live. We had a fireplace removed/replaced annd the whole wall replastered from bare brick. Cost us about £650 but if you're in London could probably double that

bananamam Sat 17-Sep-11 19:05:28

Not London, backwaters of Scotland grin thanks for the reply!

Wigeon Mon 19-Sep-11 21:24:51

£650! shock

We have just removed a brick fire surround, wooden mantel and tile hearth from a completely non-functioning fireplace, and had it plastered. DH (who to be honest is really not very good at DIY generally) very efficiently knocked out the bricks, brick by brick, using a cold chisel and a hammer (using instructions from google searches!). It was surprisingly hard work (we thought you could just smash it up) but probably only took him about 2 or 3 hours. And the plasterer charged £160 to make it all pretty (Herts). We have a lovely smooth wall now.

sixtiesqueen Mon 19-Sep-11 21:41:09

Ah yes, well my DH has no DIY skills at all. Hence the cost!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now