Talk

Advanced search

Replacement kitchen doors - are you happy with your new-ish kitchen

(10 Posts)
PonceyMcPonce Sat 17-Sep-11 14:11:02

We cannot afford to redo the entire kitchen and tbh, the layout and actual cabinets are fine.

Googling, there are tons of suppliers to trawl through - which is quite exciting, but I wondered has anyone done this and been happy with the results?

thanks

twotesttickles Sat 17-Sep-11 20:05:17

We are repainting cupboard doors instead of replacing them after seeing the amazing job our friend did on hers. She even had one which was damaged which she glued a bit of board onto and you can't even tell.

Is this an option for you? TBH if you have standard sized cupboards, it's just as cheap to go to Wickes or whatever and order just the cupboard doors from there smile

PonceyMcPonce Sat 17-Sep-11 20:36:28

Can't paint them, they are crappy laminatey things. I don't know if they are standard sizes tbh!

Mammonite Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:59

It's worth measuring up to check the size. Unless it's German, or Ikea, 99% of recent British kitchens use the same standard unit sizes, drawers and hinges. A standard base unit is 720mm high and its door 715mm high see here for full range of sizes from typical supplier. That gives you a very big range of standard doors to choose from.

Would you have to replace trims/plinths etc? It's details like that rather than doors that could get complicated - you may need a kitchen fitter for a day or two to change al those over - still feasible though.

twotesttickles Sat 17-Sep-11 20:50:08

Measure them ? wink

Check out the online sites for B&Q, Wickes et al and see if you can spot them. If you can just find out the carcass number and which door goes with it.

PonceyMcPonce Sat 17-Sep-11 23:26:34

Have found some suppliers who also do plinths ( the king of all words!), canopies and open units as well as made to measure. which is why I have not measured yet!

I was really wondering if people were pleased with their end result, or if it felt like a bit of a compromise.

Moomoomie Sat 17-Sep-11 23:31:18

We replaced just the cupboard doors on the lower units as they were standard size. The wall units were not standard so we replaced the whole unit.
We also replaced the work top, tiled over the exsisting tiles and replaced the oven, hob and sink.
Basically a new kitchen for a fraction of the price.
We brought them from B and Q.
Very pleased with the finished result, but now starting to show signs of wear after four years.
Go for the best you can afford.

Moomoomie Sat 17-Sep-11 23:32:38

It was a bit of a compromise, but we could not afford to replace the whole kitchen at the time

twotesttickles Sun 18-Sep-11 07:38:37

Yes I have done that - plinths and canopies all come in standard sizes and you have to cut them anyway so that's not a worry.

twotesttickles Sun 18-Sep-11 07:40:14

Also well worth pricing out a new kitchen as well - particularly if most of your carcasses can be reused because frankly, the doors are 70% of the cost (when you take into account knobs etc) so sometimes it's just not worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now