Talk

Advanced search

Can you completely change the shape of your house and its roof?

(2 Posts)
goingbacktowork Thu 15-Sep-11 15:39:09

Odd question I think. Our house is quite old and the roof style when you look at it face in is 3 different sized triangles. They sort of start from half way up the first floor windows. It means that inside it is quite like a chalet bungalow with lots of sloping roofs etc. The loft room we have is effectively from the inside like aa big triangle tent shape.

Can you have the whole roof taken off and then effectively build the wall up so it is just a normal wall over the first floor windows and then put a completely differently shaped roof on it? Then I am thinking we can make a 2nd floor at the same time and make the shape of the first floor more sensible. Is this possible? or is it effectively like rebuilding the whole house? What sort of costs do you think we are talking?

Thanks very much.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 15-Sep-11 15:55:11

Cost - how long is a piece of string.

Can it be done? - most probably, but I'm guessing the planning department may have to get involved, so you may need planning permission.

Most things in building can be done, it just depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

Scaffolding for that sort of job is quite expensive. If the roof design needs to be changed, then the weight distribution across the roof and walls will change, so new roof trusses and steel ŵill probably be needed. Depending on how old the house is, the foundations may not be adequate for extra weight, so they may need to be altered.

You'll also have planning fees, architect fees and engineering fees.

If you are serious about doing it, before you spend any money, speak to your local planning department and see what sort of involvement they will have (If any). If they would be involved I would then engage them and find out what sort of roof design would be acceptable/unacceptable to them. You can then go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now