Talk

Advanced search

security systems - anyone got any knowledge/experience?

(5 Posts)
ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 14-Sep-11 21:51:05

I had a moment yesterday here of real security isshooos. I.e we are secluded and am a little concerned about being back at work and blah. I am not sure what I want to achieve but wondered about your experiences with security systems? and is it worth monitored ones or not? That kind of thing.

thanks

Indaba Wed 14-Sep-11 22:42:26

Oh, live in South Africa so am an expert!

Remember seeing a UK programme and they talked about "apparent security".
If you have garden and/or gates at drive ensure they are able to be closed, and just keep them closed so no one can pretend to just wander in.

They said so much crime in UK is casual.....ie if someone can wander on to your property/garden there is much more chance of a break in. If you make perimeter "secure" they don't bother.

When we lived in London we got local crime prevention officer round (from local police station), its free and he gave us so many free easy handy tips.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Wed 14-Sep-11 22:44:27

Brilliant idea - will be doing that first thing I think - thanks so much hadn't thought about that option! grin

Indaba Sat 17-Sep-11 22:02:50

crime prevention man loved our gravel....you can't get across it quietly

narmada Sat 17-Sep-11 22:46:16

We've got a monitored system and so has our landlady (house down driveway from us). Hers went off yesterday and she was away, and the first thing they do is call a keyholder (nominated person, e.g., a friend or neighbour) who comes round to check the property. I was always under the impression that if you had a monitored system it alerted the police....but apaprently not so. Huh. Monitored systems aren't half pricey - £25 quid a month plus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now