Talk

Advanced search

Best way to hang pictures without harming walls?

(6 Posts)
teenyweenytadpole Wed 14-Sep-11 18:35:06

Hi all, have just moved into a new rental house which is lovely and beautifully decorated. Rental agreement says we can hang pictures if we "make good" and the landlord has left paint etc but we have a lot of pictures to hang. The walls are hard, I tried banging in normal picture hooks and the nails just bent. Do you think we will need to drill holes for every single picture? Or any other ideas? Thanks!

lalalonglegs Wed 14-Sep-11 19:02:33

For smaller pictures you can get sticky squares (called power somethings) from W H Smith that hold them in place. Bigger ones, I would suggest putting some masking tape on the wall and then banging in a picture pin (a plastic hook with a round bit at the top that has three or four really sharp pins in it) through the tape. The tape should stop the plaster cracking and there are only very tiny holes to fill when you leave. Again, weight is an issue - you couldn't hang a really big picture with a large frame and glazing using the pins.

teenyweenytadpole Wed 14-Sep-11 21:12:13

Ah, good idea about the tape, thanks - have used those picture pins before and found that the plaster did crumble a bit. Think I may have no choice but to drill holes for the big ones....

kennythekangaroo Wed 14-Sep-11 21:17:17

We use velcro hanging strips.

mylovelymonster Wed 14-Sep-11 21:19:28

FFS!! Don't forget to pick up a gadget from the DIY store for monitoring where the cabling is in the wall for the electrics/lighting, and be bloody sure you know where all the pipework is before you go drilling into anything!!! <<overprotective emoticon>>

mylovelymonster Wed 14-Sep-11 21:20:22

I was going to suggest picture rails before I noted it was a rental. I am so old-fashioned grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now