Talk

Advanced search

How much do you think this house would cost to do up, very roughly?

(52 Posts)
Gincognito Wed 14-Sep-11 12:07:11

Here

Not to show home standard, just as a habitable family home.

Mandy2003 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:17:58

It's so cute - like one of those industrial museum houses! There isn't even a bathroom according to the floorplan! Is there central heating? I'd guess for a bathroom, for which you'd probably have to use bedroom 3, then put a corridor through bedroom 1 plus central heating - possibly £6,000. Kitchen could be done cheaply to start with using Wickes units etc, probably no more than £1,500. But it does all depend how much work you are able to do yourselves.

The garden will cost a lot to clear. Then there's flooring or carpeting for the entire house...!

Gincognito Wed 14-Sep-11 12:22:22

Yep, it's not got a bathroom! Just an outside toilet! It basically needs everything doing. It's such an expensive area that it's a tempting proposition...

Hullygully Wed 14-Sep-11 12:24:37

That is a very sweet house.

It entirely depends on how much you can do yourselves, and how many professionals you need.

HettyAmaretti Wed 14-Sep-11 12:25:51

Awww, beautiful! Have the neighbours extended to make bathrooms?

30 - 50 k I'd say. Depending on which corner you cut. I assume it'll need rewiring, removal of lead piping, the works. So, so, lovely though.

HettyAmaretti Wed 14-Sep-11 12:26:37

Yes, if you do a lot yourselves it'll be cheaper. Also, I'm thinking in euros so am basically totally unhelpful...

MrsDaffodill Wed 14-Sep-11 12:26:51

Our architect says to completely redo a place from this age, to allow £100 per square metre. He assumes that at this age you will need to re-do electrics, gas, etc.

So at 70 Sqm that would be roughly £70,000.

I would get an architect to look to see where a bathroom could go.

You might be interested in this article, which says that 74 Sqm is too small for a three-bed home. Telegraph on small homes

RealityVonCrapp Wed 14-Sep-11 12:30:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pootles2010 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:31:25

You're goign to have to re-do kitchen, including building work. It's like a little time warp!

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 14-Sep-11 12:31:50

£60,000.

Sidge Wed 14-Sep-11 12:34:19

If extending is an option then you can retain three bedrooms, adding a bathroom.

Otherwise you turn bedroom 3 into a bathroom and lose that bedroom, making it a small 2 bedroom house.

You will probably want to install central heating, it will need a complete rewire and maybe some structural work as well as insulation.

Complete revamp and garden clearance plus building work could cost you anything from 30-130K (depending if you extend).

JumpJockey Wed 14-Sep-11 12:35:59

At least the agents are honest about it for once, eg 'overgrown front garden'. I looked at one place that said 'would benefit from some renovation' which turned out to mean living elsewhere for at least 2 months while all electrics and plumbing were replaced!

happybubblebrain Wed 14-Sep-11 12:44:16

My guess is £15,000, if you do all the work yourself. I like it as it is.

noddyholder Wed 14-Sep-11 12:46:29

Botticelli Wed 14-Sep-11 14:21:49

I like it as it is too.
A sweet little house.
Our house is v. like that. Old fashioned & un-renovated but perfectly nice to live in.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 14-Sep-11 14:24:44

Gincognito
listen to what Noddy has to say - she is the expert.

bigTillyMint Wed 14-Sep-11 14:25:11

Well, I could spend £100K on it (been watching too much Grand Designs with DS!), but you could do a really decent job for £20 - 30K!

bigTillyMint Wed 14-Sep-11 14:27:04

Hi Bibbs, how are you doing?!

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 14-Sep-11 14:30:05

Ok Tilly, thanks, trundling along.

Just getting quotes to replace our kitchen as it happens and that's going to come to £10,000 alone for absolutely nothing fancy. Although got a letter through our door yesterday from local Estate Agent saying they have clients looking for a house exactly like ours and I'm a tiny bit tempted to let them come and have a look if they want to.

sandyballs Wed 14-Sep-11 14:35:22

That's not that far from me, lovely area, I bet there is loads and load of interest in it, get in quick.

worldgonecrazy Wed 14-Sep-11 14:42:18

My first guess is £40K, based on a quick add up in my head which came to £25K and then double it and knock a bit off if you can do some of the work yourself.

We did up a 3 bedroom semi several years ago. It didn't need rewiring but did need a new kitchen and bathroom (plumbing already in situ). We also installed central heating. That came to £20K including decorations and remedial work such as damp proofing, with an awful lot of foot work carried out by my ex-husband. Our initial estimate from the builder was £12K. We had been told, take the estimate and double it by someone much wiser.

If you have a builder friend they may be able to give you some guidance.

bigTillyMint Wed 14-Sep-11 15:56:49

Thread hijack!

<<Mmm we get lots of those letters too! When are you coming bak to hagsnet?smile>>

CherylWillBounceBack Wed 14-Sep-11 17:04:08

Two hundred grand (8 times the average salary) for an terraced house without a bathroom that looks like it hasn't had a lick of paint since 1920 and I see:

"That's not that far from me, lovely area, I bet there is loads and load of interest in it, get in quick."

PSML! I'm sure you're quite right, but the insanity of the housing situation in this country never ceases to provide comedy value.

mrsbleasdale Wed 14-Sep-11 18:36:51

I;d have thought around £30k....£5k each for kitchen and bathroom, then who knows on other structural....? What's the roof like? That could be a big job? Even if you need damp doing that should only be a few thousand. We had ours done and we have a detached double fronted victorian and it cost that. Windows a few thousand? You could sand the floors yourself and save money not buying carpets. Do as much as you can yourself and buy things online...

I think it looks a great project!

mrsbleasdale Wed 14-Sep-11 18:41:07

Love the original doors...shame about the fires though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now