Talk

Advanced search

Door furniture confusion

(8 Posts)
Mimmit Mon 12-Sep-11 12:11:50

We are replacing all our internal doors with victorian 4 panel ones in oak veneer. Our house is quite traditional and I would like to keep some features. I don't know which colour door furniture to go with. I was going to go brushed chrome but am not sure it will look right. We have an antique brass curtain rail and light fitting in living room, chrome in kitchen and bathroom, so a bit of a mish mash really.
I thought antique brass but am told hinges and locks could not be matched. Now wonder whether to go brass all over. I am so rubbish at all this, someone please help!

fresh Mon 12-Sep-11 12:40:30

Have you thought about cream china doorknobs? You can get plain or slightly crackled and it will go with anything. Slightly nicer look then metal (IMO) and nicer to use than metal as well.

fresh Mon 12-Sep-11 12:41:20

'than' metal, sorry grin

StopRainingPlease Mon 12-Sep-11 12:42:37

I'd go for brass. You can get brass handles and brass locks. I'm not so sure about brass hinges though as steel are stronger - I have brass hinges on shutters, and they have bent a bit with the weight. But to match, you could go for steel ones and paint them with gold/brass coloured paint (I've done this and it looks fine).

Can't imagine brushed chrome on Victorian doors really.

If you don't fancy either you could always try those porcelain ones, or black iron.

7to25 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:53:44

how about reclaimed lignum vitae?

ladyasriel Mon 12-Sep-11 20:48:45

Sounds like brass to me, although a designer told me weathered brass light fittings/curtain rails are ok to mix before with chrome although I can't see it myself.
I would not go for brushed - I tend to see that as the most contemporary of the options. Just stick to chrome in the kitchen & bathroom with brass everywhere else - quite normal I think. An ordinary brass hinge will mix well with antique fittings I think.

minipie Tue 13-Sep-11 12:20:27

Brass. In theory I prefer brushed chrome to brass, but it just doesn't look right in a period/traditional environment.

What about your window catches and locks - are they brass or steel or something else?

Mimmit Tue 13-Sep-11 21:09:25

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I didn't expect door handles to get such interest!
You have all decided me on brass. Ladyasriel, I was told that chrom would go with brass fittings but wonder who made that rule up?!
Love the idea of ceramic/porcelain ones but they are just too pricey for us on top of paying for new doors.
7to25 I am going to google lignum vitae- a new one on me.
minipie window catches and locks are brass (well mostly) so if I am aiming for everything to match the easiest will be to go brass. My only hesitation was that it all looks too shiny and brassy confused
Thank you all again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now