Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can landlord take deposit for stain on carpet we paid for?

(18 Posts)
bamboobutton Sun 11-Sep-11 17:26:11

we replaced the carpet in the house we are renting, it was seagrass and impossible to clean with two kids under 4yo.

we did this with LLs permission and put a neutral carpet down.

we are due to move out in 2 weeks and there is a small ink stain under one of the radiators, it's about half the size of my palm.

dh is all doom and gloom and being a right miserable fucker, starting arguments and going on and on about how the LL is going to sting us for it.

can the LL do that if it is carpet we paid for?

i think the stain will come out if we keep using capet cleaner.

LaWeasel Sun 11-Sep-11 18:06:58

You could always ask them what they think, but if you think they're the kind to sting you I'd ask for quotes from local carpet cleaners. Last time we moved I was surprised how cheaply I could get cleaners in (get a couple of people to come in and give you a quote, that way you can show them the stain and gauge their reaction. I had our whole house cleaned and I went with the people who seemed most confident)

bamboobutton Sun 11-Sep-11 19:04:48

i suggested getting cleaners in or hiring that carpet cleaning machine that's advertised on tv and just got "spend more money?! moan moan, whinge whinge"hmm<siiiiiiiiiiiigh>

i've given it another going over with the carpet cleaning spray and it is definitely fading, it's almost gone, so hopefully he'll stop griping now.

tyler80 Sun 11-Sep-11 19:08:44

How much they can charge depends on state of carpet, age etc. Landlord cannot charge you full replacement cost of a carpet for a small stain on a carpet that's 3 years old. That would be betterment. The proportion you may have to pay would depend on a number of different factors.

bamboobutton Sun 11-Sep-11 19:15:39

the carpet is only about a week old, ds got hold of a gel pen.

the original carpet was grotty and marked before we moved in and it says so on the inventory.

dh decided to replace the carpet a few weeks before we move out so that the LL couldn't sting us ££££££ for a new carpet from rip-off carpetright.

tyler80 Sun 11-Sep-11 19:20:12

Sorry but replacing the old carpet weeks before moving out was madness imo. If the original carpet was grotty and marked and stated on the inventory there's no way that the landlord could have charged you the cost of a new one.

bamboobutton Sun 11-Sep-11 19:29:18

it was grotty when we moved in but the kids have trashed it even more. it was impossible to clean as it was woven grass so it was almost black with dirt from mashed in food, paint, vomit etc.

which is why i don't think the LL has much of a case for taking our deposit, it was a grotty carpet when we moved in(big water stains etc) and now he has a spanking new one with a small, almost invisible, mark.

plupervert Sun 11-Sep-11 19:43:36

Put your bag down in that spot when you are doing the walk-through at check-out?

Hiring a carpet cleaner is surprisingly inexpensive: under £30 should do it, unless you have a local hardware shop which will rent it out for less.

I can't believe the crappy floor covering they had in there at first, though. It sounds horrible.

MackerelOfFact Tue 13-Sep-11 16:56:07

Keep trying with the stain, I reckon you'll be fine. If it's a dark stain and a light carpet, would it be worth dabbing a little bleach on it? A white mark might be less noticeable than a bright blue one? Test it on an offcut first though in case it bleaches an unexpected colour.

SparklePrincess Tue 13-Sep-11 17:09:51

Why would you replace the carpet if you already planned to move out? I dont get it? Am I being thick here? hmm

chandellina Tue 13-Sep-11 18:00:48

i also don't understand why you replaced the carpet. what you describe would have been reasonable wear and tear on an old carpet and the ll would have probably replaced it anyway.

LaBag Wed 14-Sep-11 02:51:21

I think your OH is angry because he realises what a cock up he caused by replacing a carpet before you left! Is he stupid?

sleepevader Wed 14-Sep-11 04:54:59

Try desolv it or stain slayer.

I think your dp is causing additional stress in this situation.

I wouldn't have replaced carpet unless it was cheaper than getting old one clean.

Is your deposit with a tenancy deposit scheme? If so don't worry too much as I have read some of their dispute decisions online and they seem very fair to both parties.

bamboobutton Fri 16-Sep-11 10:43:50

the carpet was this stuff here

it was impossible to clean so if we didn't replace it the LL would have, it was totally trashed with food mashed into into it, a huge green paint stain, banana stains, water marks from trying to clean up vomit, no way would it have been considered normal wear and tear.

we managed to get a really good quality remnant, looked £15 a meter stuff, for £70 and paid £30 to have it fitted.
the LL would have gone to carpet right and that would've cost at least £300 ( we got quotes before we went to a small independant) and he would have taken it from our deposit.
and it was actually fitted the day before we were due to move out but the LL changed his mind and said we hadn't given written notice (gave verbal) so we have to stay for entire notice period<bastard>

i have managed to get the stain out with W5 cleaner so DH was getting himself worked up over nothing.

bamboobutton Fri 16-Sep-11 10:50:58

i'd better explain the time line a bit better

few weeks before our original move date (1st sept) we decide to replace the carpet, LL agrees.

day before we move out carpet is fitted, same day LL says we can't moveangry

a few weeks later ds gets ink on the carpet.

RunningDay Fri 16-Sep-11 10:54:40

Good news bamboo smile

plupervert Fri 16-Sep-11 12:40:36

What awful "carpet" he had before. Was he insane, imagining that would be a good idea in a rental? Or just precious about his house someone else's home, actually ?

JillySnooper Fri 16-Sep-11 12:44:35

Was this carpet in a dining room or kitchen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now