Talk

Advanced search

very boring but lounge stinks of damp - WTF do I do?

(21 Posts)
privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:01:20

it's been like that for a couple of weeks (prob since the wet weather..?) and I have noticed it before but it's never lasted this long (I now know where it's coming from btw)
What do I do and is it safe to use that room? Am worried about DCs especially DD since she has suspected asthma (and she is only 2). Should I keep them out of there until I've got it sorted? And how long would it take to get sorted and is it even possible to get it sorted in this weather?
thanks

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-11 22:03:46

What is the cause? You'll never make any progress until it's fixed.

But once it is, it can normalise quite quickly.

privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:05:33

I'm assuming it's damp coming through the walls from outside. It's on a corner of the wall which backs onto the outside, whereas the rest of the wall (which is fine) backs onto the internal hallway - does that make sense?

MrsTittleMouse Sat 10-Sep-11 22:06:02

This website from Help My House is Falling Down is really good:
www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/diy/how-to-spot-and-deal-with-damp-08-05-27

privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:11:47

thank you mrstittlemouse will have a read

DecapitatedLegoman Sat 10-Sep-11 22:23:57

A lot depends on whether you own the property or not - if not then obviously get onto your landlord. Obvious things to check are drainage such as blocked gutters and downpipes causing water to run down the house. In the short term a dehumidifier will clear the moisture from the room, prevent mould and make life a bit more pleasant until it's fixed.

privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:26:39

yes we own the property so will have to get it sorted ourselves.
mould is already on the walls sad behind the sofa. want to scream

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-11 22:38:06

Whilst working out how to diagnose and deal with the underlying problem, try swabbing the affected areas with a fairly strong solution of bleach. It should knock it back a bit. Then keep the windows open as much as possible and get as much fresh air as possible circulating.

privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:42:35

ok thank you, will do that tomorrow (and I'll get a dehumidifier - argos?)

DecapitatedLegoman Sat 10-Sep-11 22:45:58

Try Amazon. I've been trying to decide on one today, to dry clothes in the winter, and there's a good selection there with reviews and fast delivery. Although I guess you could probably find an open Argos tomorrow.

privateprancer Sat 10-Sep-11 22:50:16

thanks will have a look on amazon too. yes there's an argos near us which is open on sundays

Soopermum1 Sun 11-Sep-11 20:18:38

How is the guttering on the house? I bought a ground floor maisonette that had a little damp on the outside wall as the guttering was faulty and there was a steady stream of water hitting the same place. When the guttering was fixed, the isue resolved itself very quickly

survivingsummer Sun 11-Sep-11 20:24:31

We've had this problem recently too. It seemed to be coming up from under the house. DH checked the air bricks which were slightly blocked and opened them up again. We also keep our sofa a bit away from the wall to let air circulate behind it. Haven't noticed it again for a few weeks so has hopefully solved the problem.

privateprancer Mon 12-Sep-11 13:13:54

guttering is fine and I can't see where it's getting in, which makes me wonder whether it's rising damp sad. will move the sofa too

SootySweepandSue Mon 12-Sep-11 14:07:04

Definitely get one of those dehumidifiers. At my DPs flat we had to put in on for 3 days straight as his bathroom was leaking under the floor. Made a huge difference immediately.

LaTristesse Wed 14-Sep-11 13:41:24

We had a similar problem a few years back where an outside drain had become blocked and the water had basically been making its own way out under the house. Caused quite a lot of mess, damage and upheaval. I agree a dehumidifer works wonders, just keep it emptied!

MrsMagnolia Wed 14-Sep-11 18:58:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

plumtart Sat 17-Sep-11 20:11:59

my local council offered a free service where a woman came out with a damp meter and tested the walls, which told us we had rising damp

trixymalixy Sat 17-Sep-11 22:45:56

Get a damp proofing company out to give you a quote, the quote will be free. There's no point in speculating or trying to mask the smell, you need to know what the cause is.

MooncupGoddess Sun 18-Sep-11 10:31:11

Damp-proofing companies that offer a free quote are often dodgy - their aim is to get you to spend money on a 'solution' to a 'rising damp' problem that probably doesn't exist.

OP - see if you can work out exactly where and how the water comes in, then you'll be able to work out what to do next.

trixymalixy Sun 18-Sep-11 17:24:33

Not if you find a reputable one. The one we used told us the problem was water ingress from rain coming down the chimney and not their area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now