Talk

Advanced search

Bricking up a doorway...

(8 Posts)
Deesus Sat 10-Sep-11 17:27:00

Apologies if I don't explain this too well.

At the side of our house we have an external door & next to is a floor to ceiling window. The frame of the door/window is very old, rotten in places and needs replacing.

As we never use this door I'd rather we got rid of it altogether - I'm thinking this would be better for retaining heat, etc?

What I'm basically asking is what options do I have. I wouldn't want to brick it up completely as the window does let lots of light in which I like so I'm guessing the options are a) have it replaced with a large window (frosted?) or b) could we brick it up using glass blocks/bricks?

We are complete DIY novices so would get a professional in to do the work no matter what we decide.

Any advice, comments, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. smile

Ponders Sat 10-Sep-11 17:40:09

replacing with a window would be your best bet, I think. you won't be getting much light from the bottom half of the window, so you could build up full width to whatever sill height your other windows are - if there is a standard height;if not, just choose one! Then have glass up to the top of the space.

Deesus Sat 10-Sep-11 17:43:32

Ah hadn't thought of that ponders. Stupid question but would I need a builder or a glazier to do that? Or both?

(when I said novice i meant it blush

Ponders Sat 10-Sep-11 17:50:51

a builder should be able to supply & fit a window for you smile

see if you can get some personal recommendations from friends/family - that's usually safer than just picking one out of the phone book

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 10-Sep-11 17:54:14

if you brick it up will you have enough safe routes out of the house in case of a fire?

might be cheaper to just replace the door with a decent quality new one - Ponders' excellent idea will mean a bit of new plaster which will mean a bit of painting.

fanjobiscuit Sat 10-Sep-11 17:59:27

What about converting the door + window to a feature French window that could be kept locked ?
Uses all the available opening so not much in the way of building work or plastering plus you don't lose a doorway.

Deesus Sat 10-Sep-11 18:02:24

We've got a front door and back patio door so assume that's ok? The floor plan of our house is a bit odd really - the side door door is on the opposite side of the house to where our drive way is and just leads to the back garden (but it's still easier/quicker to go out of the back door iyswim).

We need to repaint the whole house anyway - plan on doing that last after all other jobs are sorted.

Thanks v much for your help btw - tis much appreciated! smile

Deesus Sat 10-Sep-11 18:04:19

<googles feature french window>

Oh that does look nice - it would be locked all the time though as door is never used. But I like how it would let lots of light in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now