Advanced search

Do stores take your old lounge?

(11 Posts)
ozhodge Sat 10-Sep-11 16:06:35

We are new to London and wanted to know, if we buy a new lounge from say IKEA or similar, do they take your old one away?

Bunbaker Sat 10-Sep-11 16:21:07

Don't you mean lounge furniture? A lounge is a room, like a kitchen or a dining room.

HoneyPablo Sat 10-Sep-11 16:23:54

Do you mean sofa
Most don't. Some might for a fee.
Can you not freecycle it or sell it?

wordsonapage Sat 10-Sep-11 16:24:43

Google your local council they'll normally take away large crap for a small fee.

Stores don't generally unless it's electrical and they have to under recycling rules

ozhodge Sat 10-Sep-11 17:04:46

Really Bunbaker? I did say we were new so I think everyone gets what i meant.
Thanks all. Are there places that freecycle it like red cross etc? The heart foundation only take things they can sell again.
Thanks wordsonapage. Will review the council.

CaptainNancy Sat 10-Sep-11 23:48:39

Sorry oz- I think that was slightly rude to bunbaker- I only opened this thread because I thought you were making some kind of joke- your terminology is very odd... but I'm guessing by your name that you're from outside the UK?

Most councils have large item collections, some charities take away useable furniture, but only if there are fire-certificates for sofas (to say it's been treated with fire retardant), or you could free-cycle.

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Sep-11 23:55:49

Sorry Oz, a lounge is a room - also called the sitting room or lliving room in UK.

The sofa and armchairs are called the "Suite" . Some larger charities will take furniture - and soft furnishings with fire cert attached - try Salvation Army, Emasus or google "Recycle and Donate old furniture". Or register on Freegle website (used to be called Freecycle").

cat64 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:07:19

Message withdrawn

ozhodge Sun 11-Sep-11 08:17:51

Thanks everyone for the advice. Apologies for not being clear as we would call the room a Lounge Room making the furniture you sit on a Lounge. I think the translated version is a sofa (?) or Lounge Suite (?). We want to get new furniture for the living room so reading the above we would like to remove our current lounge suite. I will try all of the above.
Sorry for the confusion all!

ozhodge Sun 11-Sep-11 08:19:53

I just reread my message to Bunbaker and agree it was rude. Apologies call it pregnancy hormones, tired or just me being a mean. Sorry.

Bunbaker Sun 11-Sep-11 12:53:39

That's OK. I hope I didn't mean to sound a bit short with you. I wasn't quite sure what you meant.

Welcome to the UK anyway. I'm sorry you are in London (tongue in cheek emoticom smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now