Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know what to paint a plastic mantel piece?

(8 Posts)
omletta Thu 08-Sep-11 11:28:18

Just bought a 1960?s house, which I would say has been ?modernised? at some point in the 80?s. We are on a very tight budget and so trying to do somethings on the cheap to make it bearable whilst dealing with the big things (hideous carpets)

The fire surround (gas fire ? marble ledge and back - not particularly to my style but ok) seems to be a sort of laminated, wood effect plastic and I would really like to paint it out ? would a gloss paint work (have had a go, but it went very patchy ? possibly needs multiple coats) or should I use a plastic paint? And if so will this make it look like a plastic mantel piece??

All ideas appreciated.

Kladdkaka Thu 08-Sep-11 21:06:12

You can buy special paints for painting kitchen cabinets. They come with a special primer that you have to use first. I wonder if that will work as the materials sound similar.

Kladdkaka Thu 08-Sep-11 21:08:57

I found a better solution, try this

MitchiestInge Thu 08-Sep-11 21:10:22

a plastic mantelpiece? is it second cousin to the chocolate fire guard?

Kladdkaka Thu 08-Sep-11 21:10:28

Oops, that link doesn't work properly. Go to the paints section and choose melamine paint.

icapturethecastle Thu 08-Sep-11 21:14:03

I don't know if it would work but you could spray paint it with a stone effect spray paint. I know someone who did this to a fireplace and it looked quite good. [http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4651/pccode---3620 here]

icapturethecastle Thu 08-Sep-11 21:14:29

sorry link didn't workhere

omletta Fri 09-Sep-11 10:27:05

Thanks everyone. I am going to try the melamine paint as although the stone effect looks lovely it is such a monstrosity I don’t want to draw attention to it – it really is the most hideous thing ever – I keep on looking at it an thinking – what were they thinking off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now