Advanced search

Knocking down an internal wall - a few questions...

(4 Posts)
nondomesticgoddess Wed 07-Sep-11 11:26:44

Am considering building back a wall that has previously been taken down and taking down a different one. This would change the space from a small kitchen/breakfast room with separate dining room (which we rarely use) to a large kitchen/diner with separate snug/office. Does that make sense??

My questions are -
1. Do we need an architect?
2. Who do we get quotes from - builders? architects?
3. How much does it cost to knock down a wall (I'm pretty sure it's load-bearing) - are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

noddyholder Wed 07-Sep-11 11:58:17

1.No A good builder would be fine
3.Depending on size and how much steel you need plus making good which will involve plastering/moving switches etc it will be between 1k and 3k

nondomesticgoddess Wed 07-Sep-11 12:17:08

Thank you Noddy. And what about rebuilding the wall that has previously been knocked down? I presume it would 'just' need bricking in and re-plastering. There is an archway there at the moment which is about 2m wide and 2m high. Am assuming that would be cheaper...?

nocake Wed 07-Sep-11 12:58:40

Before you can knock down a supporting wall you, or someone else (normally a surveyor), needs to calculate the size of the supporting beam that is required. That will then need to be submitted to building control at your local council so they can approve it. Once that's done any builder can do the work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now