Talk

Advanced search

Turning two flats back into a house - any experience?

(9 Posts)
tak1ngchances Wed 07-Sep-11 09:47:54

DH and I live in the top flat of a Victorian house in SW London. We own the ground floor flat as well, which we current let out.
We are thinking of turning the whole thing back into one family house and living here for the next 7 - 10 years before relocating to leafy Surrey smile.

Does anyone have experience of turning flats back into a house? Any general advice or pointers...we are literally just starting to think about it so would welcome even the most basic advice.

TIA

noddyholder Wed 07-Sep-11 10:13:23

The first thing you need to do is ring the council and check that they will give you planning as they are not as keen as this sort of conversion as the other way round as dividing a house makes 2 homes whereas joining 2 flats you lose one iyswim.

tak1ngchances Wed 07-Sep-11 10:15:48

I had heard the opposite for our borough - they are encouraging of people wanting to turn the houses into single dwellings because the number of flat conversions was putting too great a strain on resources. It's anecdotal though, might not be true

noddyholder Wed 07-Sep-11 10:21:24

Oh if thats the case then you need an architect! I know that here in Sussex they don't like the idea of removing affordable eg flats to make more expensive.

tak1ngchances Wed 07-Sep-11 10:53:09

Yes we have an architect lined up. Any do's and dont's in general? I am expecting the whole thing to be a bit of a headache but I am up for a challenge

noddyholder Wed 07-Sep-11 10:55:59

Move out!

tak1ngchances Wed 07-Sep-11 10:58:54

Yes we will move into one of our other flats for the duration. I am expecting it to take 6 months, is that a complete joke?

noddyholder Wed 07-Sep-11 11:56:34

It depends on how the flat was converted initially and position of stairs doors etc and services.It could take less!

Sleepwhenidie Wed 07-Sep-11 22:19:14

We are doing it at the moment, a huge job involving lots of walls being removed and steels put in. Our builders are 6 weeks in and still saying it will take another ten. We have moved out. On that basis 6 months should be fine, but ask me again in November grin hmm

We had no problem at all with planning (local council ok with two properties into one but not 3 or more, call or check website for your council's normal rules) - biggest headache was buying freehold off the company that owned it and really didn't want to sell, so we went through whole legal process of enfranchisement (which I could bore you about if it's relevant and you want to pm me), this tok over a year. Do you own the freehold? If not at the least you will need freeholder's permission to alter the structure/configuration and this will add to cost and hassle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now