Talk

Advanced search

How do you cope with no kitchen and 4 DC??

(11 Posts)
januaryjojo Tue 06-Sep-11 13:39:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

narmada Tue 06-Sep-11 13:59:44

Ho hum, I think it's going to be microwave meals for you all for the foreseeable.

Watching with interest as at some point we will likely be in the same predicament as you, although we only have 2 DCs.

Is there anywhere at all you could decamp to while all this goes on or is it too difficult because of schools etc?

MmeLindor. Tue 06-Sep-11 14:01:32

One of those electric camping stoves and a slow cooker.

Can you batch cook some meals such as stews, soups and freeze them? Will you be able to have fridge/freezer somewhere else?

Canella Tue 06-Sep-11 14:05:07

Microwave, camping cooker and washing dishes in the bath. Oh and far too often McDonalds. Baked beans seem to have featured heavily in our recent menu (have been 8 weeks without a kitchen). Or couscous.

Good luck! It'll be worth it in the end.

mrsbleasdale Tue 06-Sep-11 14:05:23

We'll have the same soon -hopefully! But 3 kids. DD will have hot dinners at school so I know she'll get some decent ish food at some point.

Can you set up in another room/dinning room etc... I was thinking of toaster, microwave, slow cooker, george foreman grill type thing?

Beans on toast for easy dinners, jacket pototoes in microwave, veggies cooked in there, then slow cooker for casseroles etc. Cooked chickens from supermarket., Take away occasionally and hope to call on a couple of friends and MIL to go for a meal, with promise we'll return the favour when kitchen is done.

januaryjojo Tue 06-Sep-11 14:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbleasdale Tue 06-Sep-11 14:08:29

Noodles too.....you just need to soak in boiling water from the kettle...and add to some chicken and steamed veg from microwave or electric steamer

RedBlanket Tue 06-Sep-11 14:08:36

We went 6 weeks without. it's bloody hard, you'll never wang to eat toast again!
I remember seeing a similar thread at the time which posters had put loads of recipes using just a microwave. Some really niceeala as well.

RedBlanket Tue 06-Sep-11 14:09:01

*nice meals.
Stupid phone.

inmysparetime Tue 06-Sep-11 14:15:21

We were without a kitchen for a month, we salvaged 2 of the kitchen cupboards and used them to make a "bedsit" type kitchen with a foreman grill, a toaster, a microwave and a kettle. Stagg do a tinned chilli that is quite acceptable and goes well on a jacket potato or tortilla chips, toasties go down well, and cereal goes well any time of day. I'd second the beans suggestion, and add tinned hot dogs. Ravioli microwaves well too, and soup is nutritious and filling.

EverSoLagom Tue 06-Sep-11 14:17:25

We were in the same situation and bought a cheap plug in steamer - once you get the hang of timings you can do all sorts in it, rice, meat, fish (great!), veg, even sponge puddings. I think ours was about £15, quite small and compact, just need water!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now