Talk

Advanced search

Mould / mildew on bedroom wall

(5 Posts)
amoney Mon 05-Sep-11 20:33:23

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for getting rid of mould on a bedroom wall. We have painted stuff on underneath wallpaper, painted stuff on the outside of the wall which formed a water proof barrier etc but our recent wallpaper attempt has mildew / mould on it again and it is coming away from the wall so needs repapering... I was hoping to find a magic solution on here before we paper on the weekend!

Any help gratefully received smile

isitmidnightalready Mon 05-Sep-11 23:36:15

You could try and find out where it is coming from. Is it an outside wall? Do the gutters leak or are they blocked - does the downpipe leak (you'll need ot go out inthe rain to answer these). Is it lack of ventilation - sometimes happens in quiet corners & behind drawers & wardrobes where there is no flow of air to dry it out/ keep it fresh. Do you keep the windows open to let out the water we all produce every night? In all rooms to allow a through draft. Are air vents blocked / trickle vents on windows blocked?

Are there any radiator or other pipes nearby - cold or hot? If hot, make sure they are not lagged so they can give off the heat and dry the wall out.

Is there earth on the other side of the wall that is keeping the wall damp & cold? Is there any reason for this wall to be cold - what is on the other side of it? Can you solve that?

What is the house made of - stone or brick or modern timber? Is it insulated between the walls? Does it have a DPC - just looking for clues as to where the water is coming from.

Is there a chimney nearby that may leak (hard to tell if it leaks, but it is comon)

Lots of question , I know. Happy to hear the answers & try to help.

My first guess would be inadequate ventilation - often people close all the windows to keep the damp out, but are just sealing it in. Try to keep as much damp out of the air as you can. Keep the lids on your pans when you are cooking, don't dry clothes on the radiators, make sure the bathrooom is well ventilated, and the kitchen so that the moisture in the air can't migrate to the rest of the house.

Good luck and keep us posted.

amoney Tue 06-Sep-11 10:02:25

Hi isitmidnightalready

Thanks for the reply. It is an old house, end terrace, from what we can see there is no water coming in from outside and the gutters are not blocked. I do open the windows first thing in the morning but it is a freezing house (even in the summer) so don't tend to leave them open all day. It is in the corner of the room and we do have a chest of drawers against the wall but the mildew tends to be higher up. House has a DPC but I doubt very much that it has cavity wall insulation and with a new baby we can't afford that quite yet!

I will try and keep the room better ventilated and see if that helps, just so frustrating that everything we've tried thus far has proved futile...

Thanks so much for the tips
Xx

theginganinja Tue 06-Sep-11 10:14:53

We found a solution (of sorts), before we had the extension done. DH put up an insulated plasterboard on the wall which lessened the mildew quite a bit, I can't vouch for the long term but it certainly worked for the two years we had it up.

loopsngeorge Tue 06-Sep-11 22:51:12

We have had this round the window frames in two of our bedrooms. I think it was something to do with the ventilation as we always had a lot of condensation on those windows. When we decorated we had removed the old wallpaper which had a polystyrene foam type backing to it but when we repapered we didn't use anything to replace this and after a while mildew started to appear. I managed to clean it off using a mildew cleaner which was meant for tile grouting but didn't seem to affect our wallpaper, and also one of those Magic Erasers for cleaning marks off paintwork! The mildew hasn't returned yet so fingers crossed....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now