Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your removal tips please

(6 Posts)
givemeaclue Mon 05-Sep-11 20:10:34

Hi please can anyone advise on:

-removal tips e.g packing etc - how to get washing machine etc unplumbed at one house and then replumbed at another (approx 20 mins journey apart), carpets taken up, light fittings removed/refitted - any tips?

-change of address - anyone got a generic list of who to inform?

-any other packing/removal tips?

thanks

Sidge Mon 05-Sep-11 20:17:20

Why would you take carpets up? Most sellers leave them. I've never taken carpets but taking them up would probably be the last thing you do I imagine (the dust is incredible).

Light fittings are often left but if not then remove and replace with simple safe fittings a few days before moving day.

Unplug washer, remove cold water supply, drain standing water from hoses, filters and drains then move into new house and reattach water inlet pipe and drain hose and plug in.

COA list - go through your bank statements and inform everyone you pay money to of your COA. Get mail redirected so as you receive mail you can add the sender to your list.

tyler80 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:41:49

"Unplug washer, remove cold water supply, drain standing water from hoses, filters and drains then move into new house and reattach water inlet pipe and drain hose and plug in."

I'd add, if your washing machine drains into the u bend under the sink, ensure you have a stopper for resulting hole if you don't want to flood kitchen cupboard when you empty the sink grin

No idea about other stuff, they normally come under fixtures and fittings and stay with the house.

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 09:13:31

my top tip if you can afford it is to pay the removal firm to pack
take a couple of weeks to sort forwarding service so do that early

Gonzo33 Tue 06-Sep-11 11:39:59

Oh yes, most definately do this ^^

nocake Tue 06-Sep-11 11:43:30

Clear out the junk before you start packing. You don't want to move the box of crockery Aunt Maude gave you 5 years ago that has never been unpacked or the stack of old copies of Classic Car magazine that DH has been keeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now