Talk

Advanced search

Faucet left on - insurance claim?

(7 Posts)
PeekABored Sun 04-Sep-11 23:30:51

Came home this evening after a weekend away to find water dripping from the ceiling fixture in the living room. The cleaner had come while we were away and left the tap running in the bath in the attic and it had flooded through the floor and down DS' bedroom wall and through his floor into the LR. sad Is this covered by insurance?? Our policy documents seem really vague. Our accidental cover covers us for damage to pipes but is just being careless covered? What a pita. We just finished a year of renovations and now need to get plastering all sorted again. (Could have been much worse but still, ugh.)

belledechocchipcookie Sun 04-Sep-11 23:34:03

Do you have accidental damage cover? You need to look for this rather then a flood.

Playingwithbuses Sun 04-Sep-11 23:37:36

Is it a cleaning company? or your own cleaner that you pay directlly as there employer?

PeekABored Mon 05-Sep-11 00:27:51

I pay her directly but not as her employer. She does a few hours every month, cash in hand.

Trying to find out more about our accidental coverage but policy wording is not saying what I want it too pretty non descript. It says I have cover "for the accidental damage of things which I am leagally responsible for, such as drains, pipes, cable and underground tanks providing services to and from my home." sad

belledechocchipcookie Mon 05-Sep-11 10:58:46

It sounds like you're reading the buildings insurance policy, what does it say on the contents?

PeekABored Mon 05-Sep-11 11:42:13

luckily no contents were damaged - everything ca be washed. But the walls themselves (and ceilins, skirtins and cornices) will need to be replastered / repaired and repainted which is why I was looking at buildings insuranve, no?

belledechocchipcookie Mon 05-Sep-11 11:44:04

You should call them and ask. Technically, it is accidental damage caused by someone visiting your home. You need to get rid of your cleaner, she sounds like a hazard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now