Talk

Advanced search

Gah. Time-wasting viewers!

(14 Posts)
mistressploppy Sat 03-Sep-11 13:11:35

If you've got the details of the house and they CLEARLY state the number of bedrooms, and the size of said bedrooms, then WHY come and view and then say 'hmm, we really need a bigger place/fourth bedroom'????

Or - 'I don't think we could manage in a place with stairs' hmm (one basic straight staircase)

Humph.

SierraMadre Sat 03-Sep-11 13:21:12

I got fed up with this too. "We wanted more of a project" hmm

What part if "conpletely renovated and immaculately parented throughout" didn't you understand?! angry

Still makes me cross a year later. I sympathise.

BiscuitNibbler Sat 03-Sep-11 13:32:58

I think people just say these things as an excuse, so they don't offend the vendor. I've said similar things when I really meant "No way would I buy this".

DecapitatedLegoman Sat 03-Sep-11 13:35:43

The thing about bedroom size is a bit unfair. So much also depends no layout and light so you do sort of have to see a room rather than rely no floorplans and measurements. But yes, sympathy because it must be really irksome.

mistressploppy Sat 03-Sep-11 13:38:05

Yeah, that's true Biscuit. I suppose I'm just offended that they don't want to buy it grin

JoJoMummy321 Sat 03-Sep-11 15:09:55

I feel your pain! We have our house for sale...description says townhouse...first line says split over 3 floors....viewer comes and decides...wait for it....it's split over too many levels!! So annoying...I think sometimes people fall in love with the pictures even though they know the house is not suitable.

SybilBeddows Sat 03-Sep-11 15:45:35

I think sometimes you only realise what you want when you see a house that isn't it.
I know it's a pain for vendors but looking at a lot of houses can crystallise what you want, in a way that is hard to do just via the internet.

echt Sat 03-Sep-11 21:16:55

This where you need the Aussie system, where the house is open for 30 minutes Wednesday and Saturday. Sorted. grin

Piffpaffpoff Sat 03-Sep-11 21:32:14

Echt, that happens in Edinburgh too, generally Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons if memory serves me right. Can get tricky thought, I had 4 couples going round my one bed flat and two more queueing at the door the first Sunday after it went up. This was many years ago though...

mistressploppy Sat 03-Sep-11 21:35:50

That's MUCH more civilised, echt and Piffpaff. I'm really shit at keeping the house tidy all the time and the agents keep phoning up with more viewings! Shouldn't complain really...

alybalybee Sun 04-Sep-11 20:55:49

I can sympathise. We had loads of timewasters when we sold our house 2 years ago. The most galling was the couple who had driven 40 miles, then within 2 minutes of coming in said, "we have no intention of buying but it looked so pretty in the pictures online we had to come and see it"!!!! Quite why I didn't just ask them to leave there and then I'm still not sure, I think I assumed no-one could possibly be that cheeky and that they were joking. Stick with it though, there is a buyer for you out there.....somewhere. Good Luck.

strawberrie Mon 05-Sep-11 22:01:59

The Thursday evening/Sunday afternoon thing seems to be fading away a little in Edinburgh, which is a shame IMO.

I found it worked really well from both perspectives; as a buyer you could potentially zoom round quite a few properties on a Sunday afternoon, and if first impressions weren't great you didn't feel guilty about not hanging about as the sellers hadn't prepared especially for you coming IYSWIM.

PatriciaHolm Mon 05-Sep-11 22:16:55

Some (!) of the problem may be the agents - I often found myself looking a properties that really weren't what I wanted after agents tacked them onto the end of other viewings/suggested they might be interesting anyway/blatantly fibbed about "potential for expansion" or whatever.

echt Tue 06-Sep-11 05:28:15

Looking round properties Aussie-style could be quite stressful, too. Sometimes there'd be 25+ people coming to look in the same thirty-minute slot. Then you'd see them later on at another house because, naturally, you were interested in the same kind of house.

The other thing is Australian houses are all quite different, apart from some Federation buildings, and you have to have an eagle eye open to see if there's central heating in all the rooms you'd expect to find it. They are in denial about the cold.
Very common for houses not to have it in upstairs rooms and bathrooms.
On the other hand they all have laundries. Just about all have built-in wardrobes, and a walk-in one for the main bedroom.

Having just bought, I no longer have to spend my Saturdays haring round properties. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now