Talk

Advanced search

Aaargh - might own a house soon - terrified!

(2 Posts)
starrychime Sat 03-Sep-11 02:30:58

Well, a flat, but I am really really scared and need a bit of hand-holding. Offer been accepted, but I still need to get mortgage approved (have AIP). I am scared I don't get accepted. Property marked as 'Under Offer' but what if someone comes along and puts a higher offer in while I'm waiting for mortgage.
Have been living in council flat for years and now realise how easy I have it. I don't need to worry about repairs, getting rid of rubbish etc - we have a huge communal area where you can put anything you like and they will take it away - beds, cookers whatever. I am scared because I don't know how to get rid of stuff like that - what if I want to get rid of carpets or something.
Flat has gas - I don't know how to work gas heating/water etc, have always been electric!
I don't know anything about eletrics/plumbing/roofs (?rooves)/guttering - I am scared in case I come in one night and there's no heat/light/water - I can't just phone the council and a nice man will come and fix it!
Please reassure me it will all be OK and help me not be so scared. On my own with DD so I have to be responsible for all this stuff myself and it's freaking me out a bit.

Gonzo33 Sat 03-Sep-11 05:22:51

Don't panic.

Most of it is just common sense.

If you are really worried ask the agent to view the flat again and when you get there ask the current owners to show you how the heating system, etc works.

I would say the important things to know are:

Where the stop cock is - might not be in your flat if a block of flats (could be outside somewhere)

Where the fuse box is - Just in case you lose electric

You can arrange bulk rubbish through your council normally, and if they don't do it they will be able to give you the number to arrange it (some may charge for the service)

Not knowing where you are in the country I can't give you recommendations on contractors, but maybe having a look here:

www.ratedpeople.com/

might be a good start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now