loader

Talk

Advanced search

come and tell me its do-able!!!!

(38 Posts)
Becaroooo Fri 02-Sep-11 13:31:43

Our monthly incomin is £2500-2600

We have no debts.

Tell me that a £850 pm mortgage is do-able!!!

<<weeps>>

LaurieFairyCake Fri 02-Sep-11 13:33:15

depends if you need to run a car as they are a massive expense

is that repayment? fixed rate? if not fixed rate can you handle it going up if interest rates rise?

Becaroooo Fri 02-Sep-11 13:43:20

Its a 2 yr FR repayment mortgage.

I have a car bit dont use it that much...school run etc

Becaroooo Fri 02-Sep-11 13:43:55

"incomin"
????
That should read "income" blush

Fizzylemonade Fri 02-Sep-11 13:56:32

Depends how much your outgoings are.

Some people live far more frugally than others. We moved to a bigger house so halved our disposable income, but I had to take into consideration that I now have to drive to school so petrol costs are much higher.

Plus our insurance is higher as much bigger house as is the council tax.

tyler80 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:14:47

It's a third of your income (presuming take home?) so just about ok. More of a worry is could you afford it if interest rates are higher at the end of the fixed term?

Becaroooo Fri 02-Sep-11 15:06:40

Yes, that is a worry but have no idea how to work out what the repayments would be if Interest rates went to say 10%?

<<told you I was v dense!>>

mylovelymonster Fri 02-Sep-11 18:20:09

draw up a spreadsheet (scrap piece of paper, pencil & calculator) with all incomings and outgoings - all household payments. Check against bank statements. Be really thorough - factor in need for some savings for birthdays/holidays/Christmas and unforseen events. Then you will be able to clearly see if it's doable.
here for a way of adjusting interest rate to see how much repayments may fluctuate - up is the only way from here, let's face it.

Don't do it if it looks tight. Prices are on their way down, remember, and you have a nice rental to keep you warm during the winter smile

mylovelymonster Fri 02-Sep-11 18:22:48

Also - look at EPC for the house you're interested in to get an idea of heating/utilities costs and also factor in any increase in Council Tax to add to your projected outgoings if you move.

Justfeckinggoogleit Fri 02-Sep-11 18:25:52

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

AlpinePony Fri 02-Sep-11 18:26:42

In a nutshell you'd be fucked if interest rates went to 10%.

Can you fix for longer with a view of hopefully increased earnings at the end of that term?

Justfeckinggoogleit Fri 02-Sep-11 18:28:05

What about interest only?

AlpinePony Fri 02-Sep-11 18:31:17

Interest only is MUCH worse wrt interest rate rises!

Justfeckinggoogleit Fri 02-Sep-11 18:31:59

True, but you do pay less monthly.

mylovelymonster Fri 02-Sep-11 18:38:28

Becarooooooooo - why not look at it the other way round? Work out a comfortable mortgage with room for manoevre when IRs rise (I think 8% is an historic average to work to), then base an offer on the amount you can comfortably afford? - rather than basing mortgage on asking price (assuming here).
Worth a go. They can only say no.

Interest only? Oh yes - easy option! Can you also recommend a suitable investment vehicle to pay off capital at the end of the term? Would have to be a bloody lucrative one in the current climate & be cheaper than repayment mortgage.......

Justfeckinggoogleit Fri 02-Sep-11 18:46:51

Interest only actually works very well indeed for some people. Those with large amounts of equity or who get paid bonuses or have investments.

Becaroooo Fri 02-Sep-11 19:43:09

Wouldnt be comfortable taking out an interest only mortage...I know its cheaper in the short term, but you can be left in the lurch and as JFGI says, its better for some than others.

MLM We are happy here but am now stressing that it will be much harder to get a mortgage when we do find a house we like sad Mortgage lending is already at an all time low and I cant see it getting any better...

Its too much money. I know that, really. Just needed you all to tell me too! smile

mylovelymonster Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:29

Why would you not be able to get a mortgage? Assuming you have a chunk of equity from your sale and don't need a very high LTV, have permanent job(s) with manageable outgoings to service the repayments, then there is lending available. I don't see why it would change. The banks are re-capitalising and being very careful about to whom and what they lend, which is no bad thing.

Don't stress! Enjoy your family and your new village.

Becaroooo Sat 03-Sep-11 08:25:33

We dont have a massive chunk sadly sad

We have £20k for a deposit (which we hope to add to) and extra for fees and stamp duty. So we would need 85% LTV I reckon.

Just worried that the banks may stop offering higer LTV loans (although I have seen a 95% one recently!)

Perhaps I am worrying about nothing...I hope so!

peggyblackett Sat 03-Sep-11 08:28:19

Is your income likely to rise in the future? I.e. promotions at work?

Becaroooo Sat 03-Sep-11 08:38:26

No I dont think so...I am hoping to retrain (not sure as what yet!!) and dh's salary wont get any larger.

AlpinePony Sat 03-Sep-11 08:43:35

If you retrain how are you going to pay the mortgage?

Becaroooo Sat 03-Sep-11 08:47:07

I am a SAHM atm so mortgage is based n dh's salary alone alpine (sorry should have made that clear)

Justfeckinggoogleit Sat 03-Sep-11 08:50:47

I'd make absolutely sure you can secure a mortgage first and get it in writing. Most banks are far happier with a 25% deposit.

MrsSnoops Sat 03-Sep-11 08:52:15

That's what our monthly income is and our mortgage is a touch more than that. Do a spreadsheet. There is not a lot of money left at the end of the month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now