Talk

Advanced search

Worried about DPs references on new rental property

(3 Posts)
MackerelOfFact Thu 01-Sep-11 11:08:58

I've just put down a holding deposit and paid reference fees for the lovely place we're hoping to move to. We currently rent under my name, the landlord knows DP lives here too (but probably wouldn't know his name) and there is nothing in writing. Only my name appears on the tenancy.

We are both on the electoral roll as living here which I guess is what they check against, but DP can't really give our landlord (a company which owns a number of buy-to-lets) as a reference as officially he's not a tenant and they won't have record of him.

There is an option on the reference form where you can pick from 'Owner, ''Tenant,' 'Living with parents' or 'Living with friend'. They only ask for landlord reference details if you select 'Tenant'. Would it be ok to say he's living with a friend? And just hope the company doing the checks don't process them both together and find anything awry?

I'm getting in a bit of a tizz because I love the place so much and don't want anything to go wrong. I assume they contact employers if they can't get a landlord reference?

Sorry for the essay. blush

PeanutGallery Thu 01-Sep-11 12:18:38

Living with friend sounds like the most truthful response. He is not the owner or the tenant (since he's not on the lease) and he's not living with parents!

I don't know who they contact if they can't get a landlord reference, they may ask him to nominate a referee?

MackerelOfFact Thu 01-Sep-11 12:47:41

Yes, on calm reflection that does sound perfectly plausible. It threw me a little that they only wanted references from the past year - we both have references going back about 8 years but DP doesn't have anything from the beginning of 2010.

I guess if that isn't sufficient then he can offer to provide some older references.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now