Talk

Advanced search

Curtains in a kitchen???

(6 Posts)
fluffles Tue 30-Aug-11 17:02:13

for some reason it seems wrong to me, but our kitchen table is by the window (old sash window) and gets a bit cold in winter (ok for eating quickly but chilly for hanging out chatting, or working, laptop, etc).

what do you have in the kitchen to keep the draughts out? would curtains be odd (and get dirty)?

minipie Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:09

Hmm, I think it would absorb smells and oil if you fry things.

What about a venetian blind (though less good re draughts) or shutters?

Sounds obvious, but have you got decent draughtproofing strips in the window?

fluffles Tue 30-Aug-11 18:24:29

i think you're right about the smells sad

shutters is a good idea - wonder if there are old shutters there painted over??? hmm....

fluffles Tue 30-Aug-11 18:30:09

nope, no shutters, and don't think we could add them without a whole window overhaul sad

maybe washable curtains which i just put up over the coldest of the winter would do - the draughts are not the whole problem, there's a lot of sort of radiated cold comes from the glass itself.

sinclair Tue 30-Aug-11 21:23:12

well i am a curtain maker and lots of people do have curtains in their kitchens, particularly when they are are knocked through kitchen diner type. Another thing that works is Roman blinds - adds colour all year and you can drop them for privacy if you are overlooked or for a cosier feel on a dark night. You can interline and or blackout line the blind for extra insulation too.

minipie Wed 31-Aug-11 11:16:11

Shame about the shutters! Was all ready to be very envy of your original shutters.

In that case I'd go for whatever curtain/blind arrangement is easiest to wash. Roman blinds would look neatest, but suspect they could be quite fiddly to wash due to the cords and batons. If you want a curtain, I'd say go for a modern and neat looking heading like eyelets, or a wave heading on a track.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now