Talk

Advanced search

Flogas (bottled gas) monthly bill unbelievable

(8 Posts)
bacon Tue 30-Aug-11 12:26:30

What a mistake, we are on LPG. At the moment we are just using it for one property (the other under renovation), This is a new build, condenser boiler, the heating is off, underfloor heating so very efficent, double glazing, thermally excellent. We dont bath the children everyday (more twice a week) say we use the shower once a day. Dishwasher and washing machine.

A letter came to instruct us that our monthly payments should be £181pm. Equating to £1122pa. 50p per litre, last delivery was 1000 litres. Renting the bottle works out just over £4 pm.

This is unbelievable nearly £200pm on gas! So when we more into our renovation and rent this out we could be spending £400+ pm on gas. NO way!!!

They said they can send out a technician to check our bottle at a cost (how nice of them), has our boiler serviced (already done). So releasically there is no fault (no increase in litres) so its the cost of this heating.

All we can conclude is that we must go for alternative energy ie solar. The only problem is the lack of space to incoporate a thermo store within the utility room.

ANyone else on bottled gas?

throckenholt Tue 30-Aug-11 12:30:28

my mum is on bottled gas - and she complains that it has become hugely expensive over the last year or so.

However, it has never been a cheap option for heating which is why most rural houses have oil rather than gas.

Can be cheaper to buy a tank and get more gas in one go (cheaper per litre).

Other option would be to convert to oil - but that would mean a new boiler and tank and the initial outlay on oil (cheaper now than in the winter so best to have a bigger tank).

conculainey Tue 30-Aug-11 12:51:39

I think oil would work out just as expensive as gas, it is currently 950 pounds per 1200 litres in my area. A wood burning stove is another option that could be combined with solar tubes for warm water in the summer months.

numptysmummy Tue 30-Aug-11 13:01:43

I have a bulk gas tank and for our family of 6 i pay £100 pcm which i dont think is bad tbh. Hot water, showers, heating and cooking all done with gas. Friends have all and it's no cheaper. We do have a small woodburner but that only really heats the main living room and only lit in the winter.

numptysmummy Tue 30-Aug-11 13:02:08

Oh, and i'm with Flogas too.

bacon Tue 30-Aug-11 14:39:20

The living room has solar gain already so I wouldnt pop in a wood burner! Its boiling in here once the sun is out. Plus a wood burner is going to cost £3k plus. I'm going to contact some solar & PV companies later.

The gas tank is huge and buying one isnt going to make financial sence as this only costs £4 pm.

£100pm sounds very good numptysmummy and your with Flogas...very confused!

narmada Tue 30-Aug-11 22:05:23

I seem to remember a story a few months ago about how these companies selling LPG were hiking up their prices to ridiculous levels. Now, it's all a bit hazy but I seem to remember that it turned out that different customers of the same company were paying wildly differing tarrifs. I'm sure it was on that 'don't get done, get dom' programme [shame]. Would there be any mileage in threatening to dump flogas and go to a competitor in order to get them to reduce their prices as happens when you threaten to leave your mobile phone provider? Could anyone else rent you a tank? (guess that would be the crucial thing)

narmada Tue 30-Aug-11 22:19:12

here is a link to a moneysavingexpert discussion about the don't get done.... programme on LPG gas and flogas in particular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now