Advanced search

Party wall issues

(3 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 30-Aug-11 10:56:31

We have a detached victorian house. Have planning permissions for ground floor single storey extension. Neighbours on both sides have similar extensions. One neighbour has signed party wall notice. Other one will not. Dissenter muttered that as our houses have shallow foundations he thinks our extension will affect his house and he thinks we should pay to underpin his single storey extension. Any one else had similar situation? We haven't yet had surveyors round. Can he force us to do this? How much would it cost? Also, if our work adversely affects either neighbours' properties who is legally liable, us or the builders? Is it possible to insure against this? Any advice welcome.

SwedishEdith Tue 30-Aug-11 11:04:33

He can't force you to do anything yet. What he can do is appoint a structural engineer, of his choice, that you will have to pay for. The engineer will produce a report re whether he thinks your extension will affect your neighbour's house. You then need to act on this, if you agree. If you disagree, you appoint your own engineer and then a third can get involved (PWA seems to be a licence for structural engineers). Either way, since your neighbour is being arsey, I'd get him to appoint an engineer and see where you go from there. There is a very good website where you can ask questions directly and the guy running it will email you back - I'll find link and post.

SwedishEdith Tue 30-Aug-11 11:07:46

I notice he says it's suspended for a while but there are lots of scenarios covered on here which may give you help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now