Talk

Advanced search

Beach hut

(23 Posts)
seasidesister Mon 29-Aug-11 21:00:36

A good buy? was at the seaside today and it seemed like such a good idea. Has anyone got one or know someone who has?

Mumleigh Mon 29-Aug-11 23:08:46

My friend has one and it's my dream to have one. In the meantime I get to enjoy hers once a year and it's lovely! It has a little terrace too so we have BBQs on it.She is allowed to stay overnight in hers which is a massive bonus.We have had some lovely days out . They are expensive and my friend has just had to completely rebuild hers at considerable cost and many weekends of hard work. Still worth it though.

conculainey Mon 29-Aug-11 23:16:05

I have a large seaside hut/chalet minus the sandy beach, seperate living/dining/cooking area, bathroom and bedroom with a large veranda /mooring area. At low tide the water is deep enough to use a small boat , also useful for fishing or just relaxing with water on 3 sides. I love the place in the summer months and weekends.

killercat Mon 29-Aug-11 23:21:46

Good lord - where were you?? Where we go in the uk, they exchange hands for £25,000 and have a five year waiting list.

We'd love one! But seeing as friends spent that this year and have rebuilt the entire hut, all they bought was three metres of concrete floor grin

Oh, we still covet one of our own smile

Thepoweroforangeknickers Tue 30-Aug-11 06:07:37

Is a beach hut not like a time-share (ie one of those things you don't touch with a barge-pole?)

conculainey Tue 30-Aug-11 10:50:52

I bought mine about 11 years ago for 18k , that price includes a good sized enclosed garden area, mooring rights and mains water/electricity. I have a large gas tank which I have filled once in ten years as it is only used for cooking, a large septic tank deals with any waste and a wood burner deals with the heating. Rates are 180 pounds per year including water so it makes for cheap living, I hope to fit a raised glazed section on the end wall next year for veiwing purposes and with a few modifications could be lived in all year round.

Fimbo Tue 30-Aug-11 10:54:55

I have two timeshares and love them, so you can touch them with a barge pole. Yes you have maintenance fees but where else could I get two weeks for under 1000 pounds in high season for the summer in UK? Also done fantastic swaps abroad.

Sorry back to Beach Huts, they sell for anything upwards of 60k round here in Norfolk. (my pound sign is not working).

ChristinedePizan Tue 30-Aug-11 10:58:33

You can't get them for love nor money here (Kent) - you basically rent the space anyway and the waiting list is between 5 and 10 years, depending which beach you covet a hut on. They are passed on down between generations IME

Fimbo Tue 30-Aug-11 10:58:43

here - looks like my grandad's nissan hut he had in the garden!

conculainey Tue 30-Aug-11 10:59:02

Fimbo, what size are the places in Norfolk? I assume they are quite large for 60k.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 30-Aug-11 11:00:44

They were selling for 85k in wells next the sea this year. Surely they get wrecked with bad weather/ blewn down etc... ravaged by the sea.....

Fimbo Tue 30-Aug-11 11:02:00

All the ones I have seen in Norfolk don't seem to have toilet facilities either and although the one I linked seems to have a day bed type thing, I am not sure you would actually be allowed to stay in them overnight.

conculainey Tue 30-Aug-11 11:03:36

Fimbo, that is a garden shed LOL, I see that thing at around 300 quid not 60kshock

Fimbo Tue 30-Aug-11 13:32:29

They obviously had high hopes as you had to get your offer in, in writing by 12 noon, 3rd December 2010. grin. Maybe we should offer 300pounds between us! grin

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Aug-11 13:38:12

Where can you get ones you can stay overnight or live in ? Never seen that.

I would love to live in one for a few months.

MrsVidic Tue 30-Aug-11 13:38:43

My auntie had 1 in wells next to the sea and she rents it out for £30 per day. Other owners get her to rent theirs out too- I love it. They are tiny but the beach there is lovely. She bought hers years ago for a very small ammount free hold- it is worth loads now!

Fimbo Tue 30-Aug-11 13:49:19

Looks like someone has built a "concept" - here, don't know where you could get a bog standard one to sleep in though.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 30-Aug-11 19:15:11

wow thats not to far away from us im moderatly interested though not sur if whitley bay is lively on a night attractign yoofs who will pee up my door/ puke on my step etc...

TeamVodka Tue 30-Aug-11 19:24:51

Near here the huts are approx £12k for a 3rd row hut, up to £17k-£20k for a front row hut. Annual rate on top. No electricity or running water.
They are 10x16 and you're not allowed to stay overnight in them.

seasidesister Tue 30-Aug-11 19:27:17

Wow thanks for all the replies. Sounds like those of you who have one/use one love them.

Im "in discussions" with dh at the moment, he thinks we wouldnt use it that much and that its too pricey for a "garden shed". He thinks that a campervan would be a better buy as we could go different places in it.

We have seen 2 for sale, one was £12k, one was 26K!!!! You cant sleep in them and the cheaper one was only 6ft by 8ft.

We have 2 dc under 5yo and live just under an hour from the coast.

Am undecided. WWYD?

noyouhavehadawee Tue 30-Aug-11 19:32:04

Which seaside?

Mumleigh Wed 31-Aug-11 10:31:53

Because I could never justify the expense and the waiting list for the ones I would want is massive I have bought a tent just so that we can get that same sort of family fun. We have had two really successful trips and would love to do more as my plan was to just take off for the weekend whenever the weather looks good. The reality is that all our weekends get booked up with other stuff! Kids parties, family visits , nights out with friends etc.So I am glad we didn't spend out on a beach hut as I think we would struggle to make use of it. I still dream though! Maybe when we retire.

seasidesister Wed 31-Aug-11 11:26:01

Mumleigh I think you are right, we are trying to work out how many trips would make on a "good summer" and when you do the maths its a bit scary.

Not sure it would be an investment either although they seem to be really easy to sell on. Its a big outlay for a wee patch of beach isnt it.

May have to start a thread in Camping next...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now