Talk

Advanced search

Please find me two complementary Farrow & Ball colours (mid colours)

(15 Posts)
strictlyclassroom Sat 27-Aug-11 23:31:57

I am going to redecorate a bedroom and need one colour for the walls and one for the French armoire type furniture.

The carpet is a sort of beige with a pinkish tone (not ideal but I don't want to change it). There's a dado with white paper above that.

I would like a mid-tone on the walls and a toning colour for the furniture, probably two colours from within browns, greys or blues (I like Green Blue, Castle Gray and Parma Gray).

Any advice would be great.

hester Sat 27-Aug-11 23:36:57

The Farrow & Ball website shows complementary colours for each colour. So, for example, your carpet might work with Parma Grey, Slipper Satin and Shaded White...

Go take a look, it's really helpful.

strictlyclassroom Sat 27-Aug-11 23:40:12

Just looking at the site now Hester - thanks.
Parma Gray and Lulworth Blue look like they could go nicely together.

I might go into the nearest showroom tomorrow and ask them. Might be able to find a fragment of carpet.

hester Sat 27-Aug-11 23:41:42

PIck up a pot of Calluna for me while you're there, will you? smile

strictlyclassroom Sat 27-Aug-11 23:41:51

p.s. and should the cupboards be darker or lighter than the walls?

strictlyclassroom Sat 27-Aug-11 23:42:33

ooh that is nice. That new Charlotte's Locks one looks like vomit though.

hester Sat 27-Aug-11 23:42:55

Either! Personally I'd probably go for lighter.

hester Sat 27-Aug-11 23:44:43

Yes, Charlotte's Locks sits very oddly in Farrow & Ball. Would expect it in Designer's Guild or something.

I'm using Calluna for daughters' bathroom. I'd wanted to go for downpipe grey but they were horrified.

Yes, I think darker walls and lighter cupboards is possibly more fashionable, though I'm sure it doesn't really matter.

strictlyclassroom Sun 28-Aug-11 00:10:17

Yes lighter cupboards versus walls feels right. Ugh how will I ever decide. And by Tuesday morning when the decorator arrives too confused

microserf Sun 28-Aug-11 08:27:08

try them on the walls, we really find the colours came up very differently once them were on the walls. i painted white cardboard sheets and moved them around and the light off white we wanted for the ceiling looked dark grey.

strictlyclassroom Sun 28-Aug-11 12:39:03

Will do microserf.

Still totally stuck on which to go for.
Are there other companies with a similar finish we should consider? I do like some of the Colourtrend colours.

WoodRose Sun 28-Aug-11 13:19:42

Have you looked at Little Greene? They have the same muted palette as F&B, but fresher. We used F&B throughout our old house, but found that F&B comes up as very, very dingy in our current house - lots of north- west windows.

hester Sun 28-Aug-11 22:53:19

I love the Kevin McCloud colours.

Azure Thu 01-Sep-11 11:57:37

At the Spirit of Summer Fair there was a really interesting talk from a Farrow & Ball designer about their colours. The woman helping her had long, red hair and was called Charlotte - the colour Charlotte's Locks had been named after her!

I'm having the whole house redecorated and am getting a little peeved with paying for so many sample pots (from different companies) that turn out to look completely different on the wall. I wish F&B would do a set of 6 complementary colours with a smaller volume per colour, rather than those very expensive pots.

hester Thu 01-Sep-11 12:52:09

That would be brilliant, Azure. I shudder to think how much I've spent on sample pots over the years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now