Talk

Advanced search

IS underfloor heating expensive??

(7 Posts)
mrsbleasdale Sat 27-Aug-11 12:58:52

Thinking of the kitchen which is about 18 sq meters...

Anyone have an idea how much this would be and is it worth it??

Does it affect the flooring you can have?

mrsbleasdale Sat 27-Aug-11 12:59:30

Is it a straightforward thing to buy and get fitted?

theginganinja Sat 27-Aug-11 13:05:27

It's quite expensive, we just had building work and considered it for the conservatory but it would have cost us more to have underfloor heating than it would to have a proper roof put on (and the cost for that would have been 3 grand). Although my builder reckons that it works really well, he has it in his conservatory and he has floor tiles on the top of it. I believe it's quite a messy process though, anything involving plumbing usually is.

mrsbleasdale Sat 27-Aug-11 15:25:44

Ah well, thats that idea out the window smile

bitzermaloney Sat 27-Aug-11 20:47:59

Do a bit of research to find different types. Ours was £3000 for 50 sq m. We had Polypipe Overlay

It is completely brilliant.

PhoebeLaura Sat 27-Aug-11 21:57:49

I've worked out underfloor heating in our kitchen would cost £500 for 24sq m and the builder would install as part of extension costs so really not that bad. We had it put in bathroom a few years ago - can't remember exactly how much but think it was about £200. I think that's pretty good really. Running costs are high but it's a good selling point if moving in future.

I'm talking about electric systems - very straightforward to buy, comes as a mat and can go under tiles or laminate. Don't know about water systems...

mrsbleasdale Sat 27-Aug-11 22:36:53

Oooh now you've both changed my mind. May be worth a few quotes then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now