Talk

Advanced search

Welcome for new owners...

(15 Posts)
greentown Fri 26-Aug-11 12:28:10

Will be leaving lots of instructions and so on for new owners.
What's the best thing to do for a welcome/good luck - (can't afford Bollinger).
Is a welcome card sufficient? Or a bottle of Cava (does that look mean?)
Or just a note saying good luck, hope you're happy!
Small bunch of flowers - don't know what to do and can't afford to spend much.

mistlethrush Fri 26-Aug-11 12:30:43

File with all relelvant documents in is great, keys with labels on saying what's what; details of 'peculiar' quirks that you know about the house and anything that's in it.

A clean house that can be moved straight into is the best present.

You don't need to do anything more than that.

aquos Fri 26-Aug-11 12:33:05

I always leave them a 'New Home' card on top of the pile of instructions leaflets. Come to think of it though no ones ever done anything for me when I've bought their house, except when it was a new house and the builders gave us flowers, but thats a different scenario I think.

aftereight Fri 26-Aug-11 12:34:52

We've always left a new home card and a bottle of prosecco. Wish previous owners had done so for us!

Pootles2010 Fri 26-Aug-11 12:37:51

Oh my god, Bollinger? Does anyone do that? I think you're very very generous leaving Cava & a card!

nocake Fri 26-Aug-11 12:51:14

A clean house and a couple of menus from local takeaway restaurants.

tyler80 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:04:05

We got hedge clippers, a lawn mower, a bag of charcoal, firelighters, various buckets and brushes, a collection of slug treatments through the ages and unused 100 watt light bulbs!

We're having to work out what various switches do ourselves but as it was a probate sale I can't really complain smile

Paschaelina Fri 26-Aug-11 14:10:57

Chocolate digestives.

greentown Fri 26-Aug-11 14:31:26

Well, I'm aiming for the place to be sparkling so that should please them. perhaps a nice card would be enough then - have to say, the most we've ever had is a couple of instruction books but even then the house was filthy. Never had a sniff of boozio or flowers.

DENMAN03 Sat 27-Aug-11 00:34:24

Im moving out on Wednesday. My buyers have been lovely and it will be just under six weeks from offer to move. Im leaving a whole welcome pack with details about how stuff in house works, to details of doctors, vets, farrier, pub etc etc. Im also leaving some moet and 2 champagne glasses.

Unfortunately I cant see that happening in the place im moving to!

echt Sat 27-Aug-11 08:32:42

When we bought our house in London, the house had been rented for a while.
The owners cleaned it from top to bottom, left all furniture, carpets and curtains that we wanted, and a bottle of wine with a welcome note.

We were so happy there, and have been superstitiously scrupulous about every rental we've left.

The people we've recently bought from left everything they could after a good number of years' rental. No fussing about curtains or the TV in the kitchen; dishwasher and microwave all left. None of them are top of the line, but I've seen so much evidence of penny-pinching.

Is this pay it forward?

microserf Sun 28-Aug-11 08:23:59

what a lovely vendor you are! mine left a broken washing machine. but to be fair, it was very clean and they also left a bottle of wine. the clean thing was definitely the best present a vendor can give.

weirdly, 2 months after we moved in, we found bags and bags of tinned food in the shed. i think they'd left it for us as they were moving internationally. but it was covered in plastic bags. i hadn't bothered investigating it!

microserf Sun 28-Aug-11 08:24:35

erm, the house was clean, INCLUDING the washing machine. my post reads a little oddly.

tiddlerslate Tue 30-Aug-11 21:56:25

we didn't leave our buyers anything because she was a nasty piece of work who gazundered (I think that is the right term) us at the last minute.

when we moved into our new place it was really dirty and they left a ton of paint, varnish, boxes, broken funiture, tubs of nails and lots of other crap in the cellar.

so I'd say a clean house is the best present.

Gonzo33 Thu 01-Sep-11 06:06:39

Definately a clean house is the best present.

Maybe instructions on how to use the heating and such like as well. That can be useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now