Talk

Advanced search

top floor bannister - child safety

(11 Posts)
diggingintheribs Wed 24-Aug-11 20:39:44

We live in a tall skinny terraced house - kids on top floor

at the top of the stairs there is a bannister to stop you falling onto the landing below (iyswim). there is a velux above the stairs. the landing is big enough to make it a little play area for the kids (their bedrooms are up there so it is their floor)

My problem is that DD is a climber and would be over the bannister in a shot

My solution was to put a floor to ceiling book case backing onto it but with a glass back so that you still get the light from the velux.

DH hates this idea as he thinks it will make the area less spacious but we can't come up with anything else

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions gratefully received!

doughnutty Wed 24-Aug-11 20:51:19

Pretty sure you can buy a bannister guard that's made of some clear plastic stuff. Think jojomamabebe had it but on my phone and battery is about to die.
We have a similar issue but couldn't use it so ended up making it an artwork wall with a large sheet of cardboard as a backing which covered most of it and a chest of drawers in front of another bit but these wouldn' let the light through.

thisisyesterday Wed 24-Aug-11 20:52:12

this?

thisisyesterday Wed 24-Aug-11 20:52:52

hang on, i just realised that you're maybe worried that they'll climb onto something and then go over the bannister?

how old is DD?

diggingintheribs Wed 24-Aug-11 21:00:26

yes that's right thisisyesterday - she is 13m but is already climbing and using things to climb on to higher surfaces. she has zero fear (serves me right for having a first child that is overly cautious!!) and I really can't rule out that she would do this

doughnutty's idea is a good one though if we just go for making the bannister higher

thisisyesterday Wed 24-Aug-11 21:07:08

i think i would just not let her play up there until she was old enough to know not to climb up over it tbh

diggingintheribs Wed 24-Aug-11 21:12:32

that's my default position but I am not confident she will be staying in her cot for much longer (I think she is half monkey!). It's right outside her bedroom.

Maybe I will compromise with DH and have a partition but one we can take down once she is a bit older. would just make me feel more comfortable. I will also make sure anything she can use to climb isn't to hand!

thisisyesterday Wed 24-Aug-11 21:23:27

ahh! yes, ds3 is rather like that too.

It's got to be possible to put a tall perspex barrier up I reckon, you just need to talk to the right people

<has no idea who those people might be>

diggingintheribs Wed 24-Aug-11 21:26:31

I can already hear my builder sucking air through his teeth!

nocake Thu 25-Aug-11 13:43:48

Put a tall piece of clear perspex in front of the bannister. Fix it by making a batten to go the other side of the bannister (behind the spindles) and bolt through it and the perspex. It's a DIY job if you can get the perspex. Try a glass company or search the net for a company who can supply it.

diggingintheribs Sat 27-Aug-11 19:54:08

Thanks for advice - might have dh on board for the bookcase idea after all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now