Talk

Advanced search

Raynespark/Merton or Southfield or Wandsworth?

(16 Posts)
Londonbaby Tue 23-Aug-11 22:02:38

Any comments on which of these areas are better in terms of property price, state schools, local facility, transportation?

wobblypig Tue 23-Aug-11 22:24:09

I know Wimbledon - very good Northern Line; good state schools but like everywhere around here very small catchment areas. I personally wouldn't live in Raynes park but Old Merton Park quite nice. Wimbledon definitely has best transport links; facilities etc in the area. Kingston also good.

I don't like to rely just on overlnd to get to London where I work.

Living where I do I can walk to large Sainsburys and Marks and Spencers ; have 24 hour Tesco express ; walk to local parks and children's theatre and cafes.
Can't help on Southfields and Wandworth

RedSpike Wed 24-Aug-11 09:36:57

Used to live in Wimbledon - great primaries not so good for secondaries though - so we moved.

WomanwiththeYellowHat Wed 24-Aug-11 22:16:47

I used to live in Merton - at the moment property prices seem insane which is, apparently, due to rich people being priced out of Clapham, Kensington etc etc. Old Merton Park is lovely, the primary schools are fine but massively over-subscribed (search on here to hear some of the horror stories from this year's application round). Secondaries are not so great - we also moved out because of this.

Transport is fantastic, as is local facility.

Islandlady Thu 25-Aug-11 06:02:08

Depends on what part of Wimbledon I suspect Wobblypig is talking about South Wimbedon as Wimbledon proper is NOT on the northern line and the large sainsbury/m&s is actually Colliers Wood not even South Wimbledon - I know I was born in Merton lived in Clapham and saw the 'shed' as I used to call it being built.

Personally I prefer Wimbledon proper but that is expensive

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 26-Aug-11 21:13:26

Wimbledon excellent for state primaries, private secondaries, facilities and transport. Predictably, property v expensive.

Southfield - only on the tube and quite overcrowded in terms of property.

Wandsworth - which bits do you mean? It's a large area.

Raynes Park - OK, up and coming for past 10 years.

carryon Fri 26-Aug-11 21:49:15

Budget and property needed?

State or private?

Primary/secondary?

wobblypig Sat 27-Aug-11 21:53:41

Forgot to ask ; are you looking to move yourself or buying to let?

Why these particular areas - as nearby Earlsfield etc nice.

Merton's main problem and the reason I would have choosen a different location within Merton if I had my time again is the schooling thing. I am surrounded by good/reasonable schools - 7 or so in walking distance - can't get a place for DS. You have to pratically live on top of a school or at least within 2 roads to get into the primaries.
I believe that is true of nearly everywhere nearby as well.

PhoebeLaura Sat 27-Aug-11 22:03:12

South wimbledon is brilliant. Great schools (primary), great transport, easy walk into wimbledon proper or up the hill to the village, great shops nearby and easy access to surrey via A3. Although pricey, not as bad as wimbledon proper but with all the benefits.

Wombley Sat 27-Aug-11 22:07:40

The good thing about the borough of Merton and secondary schools is that, because of its amazing transport links - District Line; Northern Line; overground train; buses and tram - you can very easily get to many other boroughs' secondary schools: those in Wandsworth, Kingston, Surrey, Sutton, Croydon, Hammersmith and Fulham, Westminster, and further in or out of London, as you choose. I think Merton may be uniquely placed in that respect.

RedSpike Sun 28-Aug-11 08:57:07

Which is maybe why very few local children go to state secondary school in Wimbledon.

Londonbaby Sun 28-Aug-11 12:07:49

budget is 450k, less is better. need a 3 bed double at least as we are family of 4 (2yr old and new baby just arrived two days ago). would need good state primary

Londonbaby Sun 28-Aug-11 12:19:37

considering these areas mainly because price seem reasonable. earlsfield is great but thought that would be more expensive. other areas considering is kinston, new malden and surbiton but they will be slightly further out also school oversubscribtion seem to be huge problem (was hoping merton would be easier ).....another area being considered is ruislip/pinner but seem longer journey for city or canary wharf (in case moving jobs) ....sorry about patchy info, am typing whilst holding new baby...

noddyholder Sun 28-Aug-11 12:21:50

I used to live in Raynes Park and my ds had one term at Hollymount. It was nice iirc. Close to Wimbledon and the village for better shops and restaurants but nice and friendly

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 28-Aug-11 16:53:21

Congratulations on new baby. New Malden/Surbiton/Kingston would be doable (but only just!) for 450K. Good schools generally.

TheHouseofMirth Tue 30-Aug-11 22:30:23

Raynes Park is actually lovely! We lived in the centre of Wimbledon for 10 years before we moved here for more space and I much prefer it. It's incredibly friendly and there's a lovely sense of community that was lacking in Wimbledon. The road we're on (Cambridge Road) has 2 lovely parks and allotments, we're in walking distance of Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park is 5 mins drive away. Train to Waterloo takes 20 mins but I also love the fact that we're so close to the A3 and can be in the countryside in 20 minutes too. Hollymount and St Matthews are both great primary schools and we have a brand new Waitrose and some good restaurants. Also lots of groups, clubs and classes for babies and children.

I think you'd be hard pushed to get much in any of these areas with a £450k though New Malden or Motspur Park are more affordable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now