Talk

Advanced search

JCT/Contract with Builder

(5 Posts)
itmar Tue 23-Aug-11 09:39:53

Hi,
We are having our house renovated (including refurb, roof extension and side extension). We have done the design ourself and have employed the builder direct (and we will be employing the electrician and plumber ourselves rather than the builder subcontracting them).

I've had a look on the JCT webside but I'm at a loss as to which contract I should be using? Anyone been in a similar situation?

anonymousbird Tue 23-Aug-11 18:57:27

We have recently used the "contract for a home owner/occupier who has not appointed a consultant to oversee the work." Our project took nearly 9 months so I was very keen to have a proper contract right from the outset. Our builders were quite familiar with the contract so it was easy to get them to agree to sign up to it and we agreed the relevant details to insert between us.

However, almost all our main trades came through the one building contractor - plumber, electrician etc. I only contracted direct with our flooring and kitchen people and decorator ie. the finishing up trades once the builders had mostly gone off site.

anonymousbird Tue 23-Aug-11 19:07:13

Sorry, I meant to add, but pressed "post" not "preview" that this JCT contract was fairly simple to follow, luckily we have had no disputes with our contractor etc but I'd be surprised if it did not meet your needs.... we also contracted direct, architect was not involved in the project at all.

Good luck!

bacon Wed 24-Aug-11 14:38:11

yes JCT small works. Very straight forward and very basic principles.

We are doing the groundworks for a new build at mo and this is the agreement.

itmar Thu 25-Aug-11 12:08:52

Thank you for that anonymousbird and bacon. I suspected that was the one to have but wasn't 110% sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now