Talk

Advanced search

Please help me choose an off-white paint colour (by tomorrow!)

(17 Posts)
peggyblackett Fri 19-Aug-11 20:24:28

We are painting our kitchen and family/ dining room next week, and want to have white walls. Whilst we've been toying with the idea of pure brilliant white I'm worried that it may look a little stark.

Can you recommend a good off white please? Nothing too creamy. Wimbourne White by F&B any good?

stripeywoollenhat Fri 19-Aug-11 20:26:49

fired earth's passion flower is a really bright, warm white.

7to25 Fri 19-Aug-11 20:32:19

Passion Flower is very creamy

fannybanjo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:34:56

We have Timeless by Dulux - it's definitely off white.

stripeywoollenhat Fri 19-Aug-11 20:35:50

it doesn't look that creamy to my eye: it's hard to differentiate it from the plain white gloss of the skirting boards in my kitchen, but it's not as clinical as a plain white.

DecapitatedLegoman Fri 19-Aug-11 20:37:15

Dulux Timeless seconded.

TrompetteMilitaire Fri 19-Aug-11 20:38:53

Fired Earth Lime White. Not creamy, but not white either.

peggyblackett Fri 19-Aug-11 21:40:27

Oooh thanks for the auggestions. I will have to go and get some testers in the morning. Will report back.

GrendelsMum Fri 19-Aug-11 21:46:47

The crucial thing, in my experience, is to buy kitchen paint. We started off with some a very fancy paint in a subtle shade of off-White, and found that it just couldn't take the strain of being in a kitchen. we then coloured matched it with Dulux kitchen paint, and have had complements on the paint shade and the finish from people who havent realised it's Dulux, but it's still wipeable when necessary.

TrompetteMilitaire Fri 19-Aug-11 22:04:54

F&B paints are excellent in kitchens. Ours looks as good as new despite the attentions of the DC.

mrsbleasdale Sat 20-Aug-11 07:06:40

Another vote for Timeless. We did our kitchen in it, using thier special tough paint - looks great and excellent for wiping up mess after the kids!

Dad is decorater that swears by Dulux or their trade version Glidden. He can never understand why people spend money on F&B as he says the quality is not as good and the paint can 'rub' off and marks left....

mrsbleasdale Sat 20-Aug-11 07:07:36

Dulux Endurance paint is i think what we used...

TrompetteMilitaire Sat 20-Aug-11 09:09:04

Interesting. We are property developers, and use Glidden or F&B equally. They are both superb quality and very hard-wearing in our experience.

minipie Sat 20-Aug-11 12:15:34

We're about to paint our kitchen Wimbourne White, using F&B Modern Emulsion rather than Estate Emulsion. It is quite creamy though to my eye - chose it to go with the limestone-coloured floor.

Sanderson does Boulder and Birch White, both very nice off whites which are not creamy.

Mumsnut Sat 20-Aug-11 16:34:09

F&B Pointing is a true off-white -doesn't have any yellow in it.

peggyblackett Sun 21-Aug-11 08:00:18

I think we're going to go for Wimbourne White, but mixed by Dulux Trade. My FIL is a painter and decorator and has indoctrinated DH into thinking that F&B is overpriced rubbish, so this is the best compromise.

minipie Sun 21-Aug-11 15:05:33

Do check a sample first. We had F&B Clunch colour matched by a local Leyland shop, luckily we tested a sample first as it looked very different - much darker and greyer.

The main USP of F&B is their ultra matt finish which isn't really what you want in a kitchen (as you want something harder wearing) so I agree it may not be worth having f&b in the kitchen - provided you can find a colour match you are happy with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now