Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else feel trapped by having to stay in an area for the education?

(15 Posts)
mulranno Fri 19-Aug-11 12:39:08

Have been in my house in bucks for 12 years now - have the older kids at grammar schools - so need to hang on here until they finish - but would love to move down to Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset -- really just because I am bored and have itchy feet -- anyone else feel like this?

Mandy21 Fri 19-Aug-11 14:23:06

Is it a change of scenery that you want, or would a house move (within the same area) be enough? We're just starting out on this road having moved to Trafford precisely for the schools a year ago - we have at least 16 years to go until the youngest finishes senior school. It is a commitment but then you must be glad you've given the children good / settled schooling?

twinklytroll Fri 19-Aug-11 14:25:51

I am sure those other areas have good schools and in fact if you want Grammar Schools they may have those as well.

mulranno Fri 19-Aug-11 14:42:33

I am delighted (and grateful) that they are in great schools - and as we have been here so long they/we are really part of the community -- so in reality we wont move until they finish their education. BUT I am SO BORED with my house and as we are in the nicest village in the area anyway and I dont want to waste any of my precious equity moving within the same area - just to move again (to Sussex, Dorset, Hampshire) in 6 years time -- I feel like I have to sit it out.

twinklytroll Fri 19-Aug-11 14:44:22

Can you not redecorate?

mulranno Fri 19-Aug-11 15:19:34

Redecorating feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic - could easily spend big bucks as kitchen and bathroom need doing - but not inspired to..

minipie Fri 19-Aug-11 15:21:55

You're really part of the community, you're in a lovely village, your DCs are in great schools. That all sounds great. And you'd lose that community if you moved.

It sounds like you have itchy feet for some sort of change or project - but it doesn't necessarily have to be a change of area, does it?

What do you prefer about Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset?

SybilBeddows Fri 19-Aug-11 15:24:17

surely it wouldn't actually be fair to the children, who presumably have friends of their own, if you moved just because of itchy feet, regardless of the school issue?
Obviously sometimes people have to move for work, or because in some way they feel they can make a better life for their family as a whole elsewhere, but do people really move just because they're bored?

lachesis Fri 19-Aug-11 15:28:11

Yes, you have to sit it out. That's part of being an adult.

minipie Fri 19-Aug-11 15:31:38

I think the OP is recognising that she can't move, due to the DCs, just saying she wishes she could.

I'm wondering why she's so bored, though ... ? And what would be so different about a different area that would mean she wasn't bored there, too?

lachesis Fri 19-Aug-11 16:56:46

Only boring people are bored.

southeastastra Fri 19-Aug-11 16:59:21

it would never have occured to me to move house because of the schools. i now realise this fatal flaw grin

on the other hand my house can go for £££ cause of the new local religious school that my kids cannot attend being atheists. oh the irony

minipie Fri 19-Aug-11 17:10:17

I don't think that's true lachesis

But I do think that only people who can't identify why they are bored and do something about it are bored.

Mandy21 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:44:45

Maybe you could organise a few weekends away in the part of the world you're looking at moving to when the children have all flown the nest - consider it research smile.

mulranno Sat 20-Aug-11 11:32:28

I think that having the coast nearby and a sense of living in a more rural environment appeals.... "weekend research" is a good idea -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now