Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with deeds when you own something without a mortgage?

(13 Posts)
HarrietJones Thu 18-Aug-11 20:11:57

Hopefully buying a lock up and was wondering what we do with the paper work to keep it safe?

roundtoit Thu 18-Aug-11 20:14:04

The deeds are not that important these days as all properties are now noted on the land registry. so just keep them in your home.

ragged Thu 18-Aug-11 20:14:06

Do you still get any paperwork? So much is electronic now...
We ended up taking advantage of a service our lender provided where we kept a quid on the account as our debt, and for that they kept the documents for us somewhere safe.

winnieinpooh Thu 18-Aug-11 20:15:51

We cleared our mortgage a few years back and I got sent the deeds from the building society. I keep ours in a lockable safe along with other important documents (around £20-30 to buy).

I'm not worried too much as apparently they are all kept by the land registry computer system anyway.

HarrietJones Thu 18-Aug-11 20:16:38

I don't know! I've no idea what happens post me making an offer.

I last bought in 1999 and have only sold since.

If you bought it in 1999 it will be registered, so the deeds are only really of historical interest.

HarrietJones Thu 18-Aug-11 20:21:58

I've sold that one.
I'm buying( hopefully) a lock up in cash in the next few weeks , just wondered what happens with the paperwork. The house is mortgaged and it's deeds are with the bank

Doh! I thought you were putting the deeds to your property in a lock-up blush!

The lock up will definitely get registered with the Land Registry after the sale then, so the deeds won't really have any legal significance.

HarrietJones Thu 18-Aug-11 20:44:28

Thanks! Just got to hope no one out bids us now!

Gonzo33 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:22:27

Personally I would hold a safety deposit at the bank. Should anything happen to you/your property they are in a safe place then.

FYI I only recommend that because my Great-Aunts house had a fire which destroyed the room that held her deeds and because it had been bought so long ago it was nightmare getting hold of a copy.

HarrietJones Fri 19-Aug-11 12:40:29

Thanks that's my worry!

SparklePrincess Fri 19-Aug-11 15:40:32

I don't have any deeds to my house. Bought it mortgage free 3 years ago. Apparently its all held electronically now.

nocake Fri 19-Aug-11 15:48:43

We have a fire safe that contains important documents, including all the historic records for our house. It's also useful for holding passports, insurance documents (who to call if your house does catch fire!), birth certificates etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now