Talk

Advanced search

More on Ruislip/Eastcote

(4 Posts)
Londonbaby Thu 18-Aug-11 10:25:45

Looks like a decent area to bring up children, leafy, nice schools, reasonable house price etc etc. Just wondering if the area is a bit boring in terms of shops and restaurants (say, compare to SW London like Raynes Park/Wimbledon, New Maldon?) Also, will the commute to City or Canary Wharf quite long and slow from NW London?

Can anyone give me more insights on the area in terms of local facilities, doctors, buses?

stikmatix Thu 18-Aug-11 21:55:19

I think Ruislip has a decent High Street, and compares really favourably to those in the local area. There are a good number of cafes and restaurants, pubs, Waitrose supermarket, small M&S Food, Tesco Express, so you can get all your food easily. There is John Sanders, a small department store which sells home things (beddings, kitchen stuff etc), toys, clothes (a bit old ladyish though!), and there are a whole host of independent shops so you can get everything you need, pharmacies, banks, dry cleaners, bakeries, sports shop, photo shop, health shop, to name but a few.

Ruislip Manor has a High Street, but is has lost a lot of shops and has loads of empty units and is a bit rubbish now, there isn't even a bank left in Ruislip Manor. South Ruislip has all the big retail park type stores, a big Sainsburys, Homebase, DIY and garden places, Argos, furniture stores etc.

Eastcote has a decent High Street too but doesn't have a supermarket only a Bugdens (expensive).

Of course, for big shopping centres there are Uxbridge and Harrow easily accessed by public transport or car, and Watford a bit further away.

No cinema in Ruislip, but good library, there's a swimming pool, and loads of nice places to walk - woods, playing fields, Ruislip Lido, there's a decent park with playground.

I don't use the buses that much but there are a good number of lines running to different places, plus various tube stations - Met and Piccadilly lines, Central line and mainline trains too at West and South Ruislip. To the City you're looking at minimum 45 mins Ruislip to Liverpool Street on the Met line (my Mum used to do that commute) and I reckon about 1.5hrs to Canary Wharf (that may be pessimistic but it did take about that last time I went there years ago).

Pinner35 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:00:57

Be mindful of the HS2 planned route......its due to go through ickenham and ruislip, which may influence your decision.

http://ruislip-against-hs2.co.uk/

pleasenap Thu 18-Aug-11 22:10:25

New malden would be a cross between Ruislip and Eastcote combined. Wimbledon is much larger than either Ruislip or Eastcote - more variety and buzz in Wimbledon. But Ruislip is a good area and good schools and great for transport into London and to the outside world too. South Ruislip is about 20min into marylebone - but still would 30-40 mins on tube possibly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now