Talk

Advanced search

DS (10) wants Indiana Jones style bedroom but not too young. What to do?

(8 Posts)
SeniorWrangler Wed 17-Aug-11 22:41:45

I'm trying to do up my DS's bedroom, but we haven't got a very big budget. We have to reuse a modern fitted cupboard that can't be painted, and a double pine bed with green bedside tables, as well as a large wicker armchair. Otherwise it's a pretty blank canvas, although there isn't really any room for extra bits of furniture. Any ideas?

nakedandangry Wed 17-Aug-11 22:55:30

Well you will need some skulls with lights in - i'm sure I've seen those around, they would look good on those bedside tables.

I would create a huge collage across one wall - lots of colour printouts - to create Aztec scene, or the bridge thing between the mountains, or err sorry my memory of IJ films is piss poor!

I'll give it some thought...

Pudden Thu 18-Aug-11 13:35:11

loads of rubber snakes caught up in a big net thingy. Why can't you paint the cupboard?

SybilBeddows Thu 18-Aug-11 13:45:49

can you do a mosquito net, or sort of tent-like canvas hanging over the bed?

SeniorWrangler Thu 18-Aug-11 22:27:28

Mosquito net is a great idea!

SeniorWrangler Wed 24-Aug-11 10:51:00

OK, I've been hard at work! We now have an Indiana Jones duvet cover and pillowcases off Ebay (£10), a globe bedside lamp (recycled from another bedroom), a sepia world map poster over the bed, a lizard mounted on the wall (from existing soft toy collection), a display of Indiana Jones dressing up accessories from the dressing up box (whip, hat and so on) on the other wall, a stuffed crocodile at the end of the bed (recycled from existing collection), and cream curtains with leather tabs on the top (borrowed from front hall). I have also ordered two cheap but solid bookcases and a small trestle 1930s style wooden desk for all his bits and bobs. I have also set up a large telescope the kids were given one Christmas but which they haven't used yet, to add to the explorer-type theme generally. I'm going to paint the room a kind of dark cream to set off the sepia map and pine bed, and I think it will look great!

Pudden Wed 24-Aug-11 13:41:25

aww..that sounds brilliant and some ideas worth pinching!

SeniorWrangler Tue 30-Aug-11 20:58:23

Further developments - his name in golden hieroglyphics on the door!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now