Advanced search

Party wall agreements

(6 Posts)
HarrietJones Wed 17-Aug-11 15:47:59

do they have to be drawn up by a solicitor or can we write something & neighbours sign it?

DorisVinyard Wed 17-Aug-11 16:17:03

They are usually drawn up by a surveyor not a solicitor. You and your neighbours can use the same surveyor but your neighbour has the right to appoint his/her own surveyor and you are responsible for bearing the costs. Please bear in mind that if your neighbours dispute the agreement the surveyors can ramp up their fees and you could be facing 1,000 plus bill from them. If you are very friendly with your neighbours this can be avoided. Good luck.

Pendeen Wed 17-Aug-11 16:30:27

There is no restriction on who can be a Party Wall Surveyor. You do not need a PWS to fissue a Party Wall Notice.

The official advice is here: PWA Booklet

For a PWN to be effective I would reccoment you prepare the document in the format as suggested by one of the advice websites.

Try this one:

Party Wall Notice Template

PM me if you have any specific queries.

Hope it all goes well...

Pendeen Wed 17-Aug-11 16:31:00

sad at my awful lazy typing !

said Wed 17-Aug-11 16:32:30

And if you don't serve one there's no penalty.

HarrietJones Wed 17-Aug-11 17:12:19

Thanks am on my phone so will look at the links properly later.
So if we use a template letter that would be ok?
Both sides have given verbal consent with no queries but as it's cellar work there is a slight risk of problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: