Talk

Advanced search

urgent! buying a boiler-recommended plumbing online retailer

(22 Posts)
PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 22:29:20

our boiler has just packed in, good and bad timing as we are doing the kitchen and mess will be made but also its very very expensive (well i was quoted). so instead of getting the big giants to do it i have someone (qualified/certified etc) to fit the boiler, i also will then need to buy it.

so i have looked online and its £100s cheaper than buying it from the fitter in some instances its 50% cheaper.
Has anyone done this? i like teh look of plumbnation, if anyones has success with any of these plumbing online retailers please let me know!
tia

said Tue 16-Aug-11 22:40:41

What brands are you looking at and what prices are you getting? I couldn't find a Vaillant online (admittedly, a very quick look) that was cheaper than the fitter was quoting (and I only looked to check, was in too much need to not get it via fitter)

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 22:45:09

hi said
vaillant Eco-tec pro 28 , its about 800-900 online.
is that the one you got

SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 22:48:09

You can buy a new Worcester Bosch boiler for around £800. They are a very good make & are guaranteed for 2 years.

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 22:52:58

thanks sparkle, have you done so? im worried about buying it online but that seems to be the best way to get it for around £800? if you have do so please let me know your retailer?

said Tue 16-Aug-11 23:07:14

That sounds familiar. Can't remember price of boiler now from quote <helpful> Will have a quick look...

said Tue 16-Aug-11 23:16:23

ours is an Eco Tec 831. Whole VAT inc job was 1800 but included a MagnaClean thing (probably a con but about £100 or £200?) Do your online prices include VAT? So, if you can get a fitter to fit for not much, sounds a good deal to do get it online.

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 23:22:13

yes they include Vat , gosh i dont even know the difference between these boilers, is yours really big then? i need a 28 at least
the quote we got from a well known company was £3000 for that boiler which i can get for 850-900 and then fitting.

SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 23:23:04

I just googled it PinkOlives. I have a W B boiler so I know they're reliable. I was lucky enough to get mine through Warmfront. Make sure you get someone properly qualified to fit it or it will invalidate your guarantee. I would ask local plumbers to quote you first, by far the easiest way to do it. Whatever you do dont get an obscure make from off the shelf of a DIY store. To name names Ravenheat wont even touch their (very cheap boilers available at B & Q) after warranty. I had to replace a 5 year old Ravenheat after stumping up £200 to repair it first. sad

SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 23:23:56

British Gas was it? They're v expensive!

SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 23:25:00

I have a Greenstar 24i boiler.

said Tue 16-Aug-11 23:25:16

Not big, just a combi for a 3 bed semi/2 showers. Agree about brand, only get Vaillant or WB (both good)

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 23:29:07

ok thanks, im going with the one that is on the quot then ive done a search and found it. just hope the online retailers are reputable, a lot of money to risk (we had this conversation i think about appliances! smile)
thanks Said

(ps hope your kitchen went ok?, ours was majorly delayed we lost our fitter at the last minute and have only now just about found another one, never again)

said Tue 16-Aug-11 23:32:33

good luck and bummer about the kitchen. Will be worth it when it's done though (sitting in mine now, dicking about on here instead of doing what I'm meant to be doing grin)

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 23:32:52

Haha Sparkle no it wasn’t Bg , initials are PP. actually BG are a 2tad2 bit cheaper apparently but the service of PP is impeccable! thanks for advice will definitely get a Vaillant or a WB, just need to do it online as the shops have a huge mark-up!

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 23:34:11

in a way it worked out ok as boiler just broke and wouldve made a huge mess on my new worktops! congrats on yours enjoy it!

SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 23:36:23

Good luck. smile

ChippingIn Tue 16-Aug-11 23:36:49

Let us know how you get on wont you.

PinkOlives Tue 16-Aug-11 23:51:17

Thanks! Will let you know
If anyone has bought online pls let me know who from ta

greentown Wed 17-Aug-11 08:27:34

Haven't bought a boiler online but looked into it once and found in some cases, a lot of the essential parts are missing from the online product - flue bits, control panels, valves and stuff for connecting to existing pipework. Worth telling your tradesman what you intend buying, asking him to give you a quote for the fitting and supply of all the missing/extra technical stuff. Otherwise he turns up on the day to fit it and says, can't fit this, have to go to suppliers....
I would imagine it's still cheaper than buying from the fitter though.

greentown Wed 17-Aug-11 08:33:24

meant to say, I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Screwfix and found them very good - not a boiler though - not sure what their range is like

PinkOlives Fri 19-Aug-11 14:42:55

Thanks Greentown, screwfix does not stock Vaillant unfortunately. Will risk the online purchase very soon. It seems to come with flue but you can also order the extra bits but I will have to check with the fitter exactly what we need .
Just worried about using unfamiliar websites

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now