Advanced search

Naming your house - can you help me please?

(7 Posts)
PeachyKeenJellyBean Tue 16-Aug-11 21:11:28

I live in a village where most of the houses have names.
Our old farmhouse has a one-word name. (let's call it "Dunroamin*)grin

Attached to my house are a row of cottages, which are called "1, 2 and 3 Dunroamin Cottages"

Except the owners of have put a sign up proudly calling it "Dunroamin" and then miles away from it a teeny tiny number 1 sign.

Couriers, visitors, etc all go there and it is ANNOYING.

To change the name in all the Royal Mail, deeds etc is about a grand shock

Can we start calling it Dunroamin House and it be legal?

<waves to anyone who recognises me in real life>

carpwidow Tue 16-Aug-11 23:37:00

Get a large sign and call it "PeachyKeenJellyBean"and you'll make the postman smile every morning smile

hatwoman Tue 16-Aug-11 23:51:56

not sure if this is helpful, but we recently bought a house with a name and I noticed that the house had 2 different names on different documents. It was called both Hat Farm Cottage and Hat Farm. The lawyer said it didn't matter. I guess the one problem you'll have is that the new name won't appear on that database that everyone seems to have when you need to give your address.

timidviper Tue 16-Aug-11 23:58:34

Our house has had different names at different times in its 100 year life. It was originally called after a place in the US (no idea why) and the people who had it before us called it a really boring, common name which we haven't bothered to change. When we give our house number and postcode in to companies they often come up with a third name that sounds like a medical ailment!

GlaikitFizzog Wed 17-Aug-11 00:07:55

I'd ask your neighbours to change their sign TBH. Cheeky of them to not have their house clearly "labled". It is their responsibility to ensure their house sign is accurate and it isn;t at the moment.

minipie Wed 17-Aug-11 10:55:35

I agree with Glaikit I'd ask them to change their sign. It must be annoying for them too, surely, if they are getting couriers and visitors intended for you?

I don't see anything to stop you calling it Dunroamin House but it will be a pain for you to tell everyone (banks, utilities, neighbours etc) and there may be some places you can't change it without changing the deeds (eg electoral roll)

nocake Wed 17-Aug-11 11:08:45

You can call your house whatever you like but the name that is used on the postcode database is the one the post office will use. If you start calling your house Dunroamin House it will still be on the database as Dunroamin and that's the address many companies will use.

I suggest you ask your neighbour to change their sign as it's causing confusion. It can't be helping them if people wanting your house keep knocking on their door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now