Advanced search

Oh bugger! :(

(25 Posts)
Becaroooo Tue 16-Aug-11 12:22:40

We have just sold our house and moved into rented accomodation as 2 house purchases fell through. As the norm we have signed a 6 month lease.

We viewed a house a couple of weeks ago (prior to moving) and really liked it but what with a family bereavement and moving house we have only just got round to making an appt for a 2nd viewing this evening.

They have dropped the price from £145k to £140k (which is good??) but apparently there is lots of interest and lots of viewings later in the week (some 2nd viewings)

So. If we want it what do we offer?

Bearing in mind we dont want to move til at least xmas (although there will be a chain as the house they want need to find a house and they are moving away from the area etc etc) but that we are no chain and have a deposit and agreement in principle???

Want to offer £130k

Am getting concerened as want to sort a FR mortgage out before the rates go loopy !!!


Gonzo33 Tue 16-Aug-11 13:49:57


This house selling/buying business for you has been a nightmare hasn't it. Go for the 130k, they can only say no can't they.

Good luck grin

PlumSykes Tue 16-Aug-11 13:55:41

I would offer 130, but be prepared for them to want to sit on it until the other people have had viewings later in week.

Becaroooo Tue 16-Aug-11 15:06:23

gonzo Its been....interesting!! grin

In some ways its perfect - house wise - but has not got a massive garden (which doesnt bother me at all)

Dh wants a hobby room/workshop but we could sort something out I'm sure.

Its slightly more difficult as I know the vendors!!!! (small village, everyone knows everyone!)

Should we just go in with an offer of £135k first and final offer (would not offer any more than that anyway tbh)


SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 15:31:47

You have 2 options here, try your luck for a bargain, or if you think the asking price is fair as it is then go in at 135k, but state that its your best & final offer & you simply cannot afford to improve on it. smile Keep us posted. smile

Becaroooo Tue 16-Aug-11 19:16:50

Been back to view.

House is great (wouldnt need to do anything) but smallish garden and - something we didnt realise before! - there is a drain cover on the side patio where dh would want to construct his hobby room/glorified shed.

Does anyone know what the rules are re: drain covers? Can they be built over as long as they can still be accessed??


SparklePrincess Tue 16-Aug-11 22:18:20

I think they can, as long as they can still be accessed.

ChippingIn Tue 16-Aug-11 22:21:54

I don't know - but can't see why not if it can still be easily accessed.

Very exciting isn't it.

I think I would go in at £130 and see what they say - if they come back with a 'no' then go back with a full and final at £135 - make it clear you can't/wont go any higher. It's a buyers market out there and you are chain free.

DaisySteiner Tue 16-Aug-11 22:24:48

What makes you think rates are going to go loopy? My understanding is that interest rates are likely to remain low for some time to come, and fixed rates may come down further in the near future on this basis.

ChippingIn Tue 16-Aug-11 22:25:46

Daisy - that was my understanding too - but I wasn't 100% so didn't say anything (also I'm due to remortgage so there's also an element of wishful thinking going on!!).

Becaroooo Wed 17-Aug-11 06:19:08

The BBC are saying that the application fees for mortgages are all going to go up (something to do with the RPI figures out yesterday).

Dont want to end up having to pay £1,000's for a mortgage product that is only £99 atm.

Also, my IFA has recommended we go for fixed rate as the market is so very uncertain and not sure IR can be kept so artifically low for much longer (i.e into next year)

Will have a word with the EA today re: drain access - they may know the answer!

gettingeasier Wed 17-Aug-11 11:18:19

I have these "doors" inset in the floor of my utility and sitting room which go down into the drains as that part of the house is an extension

I like to tell people they lead to my wine cellar grin

It shouldnt be a problem Becarooo

My area is demand far outstripping supply so in your shoes I would offer £135 to secure the house

Good Luck

Gonzo33 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:34:29


Are you referring to the fee for booking the fixed rate as opposed to the rate of interest for the mortgage itself?

Personally I think that rates will stick for a while but that banks will be charging a higher fee to fix the rate of interest on the mortgage. This will be due to the fact they will want to make some money out of the lend, and this is one way of doing it!

Becaroooo Wed 17-Aug-11 16:01:31

Yes, I mean the fee gonzo Some of the FR fees have gone up considerably already sad

Wrt FR interest rates, it will be similar to what we were on before I think, maybe slightly less.

The other option is a tracker with no tie in so we could switch to a FR but then, you would have the fees to contend with again. sigh.

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 15:06:31


Offered £135k.

They rejected it.


What do I have to do??????

SparklePrincess Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:16

Can you afford more? How realistic are they about what is selling for what in the area? If you can afford to id be inclined to go slightly higher at a random figure, say its all you have, best & final offer. Something like 136,200. Good luck. smile

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 15:54:06

SP They have lost out on the house they wanted and tbh not sure they are serious about selling now....dont want to make a higher offer as we would need to replace the boiler and put a radiator in the conservatory next year and that would be approx £5k....hence our offer of £5k under asking.

This is the 2nd time we have offered only £5k under asking and been rejected!

People do want offers from no chain buyers dont they???

SybilBeddows Thu 18-Aug-11 15:55:21

you said there were other viewings later in the week, so they are holding on to see if anyone offers asking price or (ideally, from their POV) two people do so they can try and get them higher.
Although in this market £135k sounds like a pretty good offer to me, if they really do have other viewings lined up including second viewings then it's not surprising they are choosing to twist rather than stick.
I wouldn't try and go higher yet, just hang on for a few days because three things can happen: either they don't get any more offers (or only lower ones than you), in which case they may be willing to reconsider your 135, or someone else offers more than you can afford, in which case there's nothing you can do, or someone offers around the same as you, in which case the agent is likely to come back to you to see if you'll be willing to increase, to try and play you off against the other buyer.

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 16:09:20

EA said they are holding out for asking price <<shrug>>

We are no chain, have a deposit, mortgage agreed, and are happy to give vendors time to find a property.

I really thought it would be easy <<hollow laughter>>

Gonzo33 Thu 18-Aug-11 16:21:06

Becaroooo I wish I could sell my house to you grin Totally different area I think though, plus tenants in it at the moment.

Gonzo33 Thu 18-Aug-11 16:21:52

Pressed post message before I added that I am keeping my fingers crossed that makes them accept your offer.

SparklePrincess Thu 18-Aug-11 16:30:57

Those vendors sound like huge time wasters who don't know what they want im afraid. sad

SybilBeddows Thu 18-Aug-11 16:41:28

this is the problem, isn't it?
It's all very well for Rightmove and the more bearish of the agents to say 'All you need to do to get the market moving again is to accept lower offers on your house because then you'll get a discount too when you buy one!' but if the majority of the vendors out there won't take any less than their already highish prices it doesn't work.
I know people are saying it's a buyer's market and it is definitely a falling market but it seems to me that's not quite the same as a buyer's market if most people who are selling don't think it's one. Does that make any sense?

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 16:45:49

I think so sybil yes. We accepted £10k less than asking because we wanted to sell (we desperate to, actually) but we cant seem to find vendors like we were, sadly.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect vendors to give me their house grin but they need to be a bit more realistic IMO.

SP Yes, I agree with you. This is 2nd time we have offered on a house where the vendors werent really serious and we just "testing the market".

Becaroooo Thu 18-Aug-11 16:46:31

Whereabout is it gonzo ??? <<becaroooo sounding more and more desperate>>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: