Talk

Advanced search

Finding a house to buy - innovative ideas needed.

(11 Posts)
Karbea Mon 15-Aug-11 21:33:44

we've spoken to local agents, looked through right move a million times... Anyone any ideas how to find a house for dh and I to buy.

piprabbit Mon 15-Aug-11 22:46:37

Whereabouts are you looking?
What's the sticking point? Is it budget or just a lack of available properties?

Tell us all about it Karbea and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Aug-11 22:47:45

what problems are you coming up against?

Karbea Tue 16-Aug-11 08:17:50

Hello,

We are looking in bucks, mainly beaconsfield & gerrards cross. The problem is a mix of budget (we can only afford up to 950) and the amount of properties on at that amount, I've been told by agents we need at least 1.1.

It's a very odd position to be in when the agents look down on you when you've that amount to spend shock

We are in a great position, living with inlaws, money in bank, mortgage agreed etc. Surely someone is desperate to move! Apparently not according to snooty agents, people in gx and more organised apparently!!!! hmm

I don't know these areas well, so please feel free to suggest places, I'm an east London girl, dh comes from there, and it suits him for work being west of London.

Thanks.

Karbea Tue 16-Aug-11 08:18:39

People in gx are more...

Ealingkate Tue 16-Aug-11 08:33:14

Do you know where you want to live?? I mean which roads would normally fall within your budget?? It may be worth working it out and doing a leaflet drop as some people really don't like the idea of having strangers round their house and find putting their house on the market rather daunting.
It may also be worth speaking to local builders to see where they are building (eg Charles Clinkard).
Can you use the in laws to spread the word about you looking for x kind of house - I'm assuming that you are living in the area.
Alternatively, if you're really desperate - maybe get a part-time job in a local estate agent and then you'll have the inside track - it might be worth doing just for a little while. (Unless you already work)
You could also look in Harpenden?

Yourefired Tue 16-Aug-11 09:00:09

We were in a similar position (similar location!). The thing that worked for us in the end was realising that as demand totally outstrips supply that the estate agents are key. We identified that estate agency that dealt with the part of the market we were trying to get into and built-up a relationship with them. We were very honest about what we wanted and what we would and would not compromise on. We became "experts" in local pricing and in the end the estate agent was using us as bench-markers before houses went to Market to price set. We took them out for coffee, and listened to their problems - I kid you not. It paid off in the end and we got the house we wanted at 250k below the market price. Essentially someone for work reasons needed to sell and move ASAP and we were the go to people for first refusal on the deal. The process took two years. Another thing that helped inform us was looking at the land registry to check out whether what we were being told about prices was true, very informative. Sorry not to be more positive.

Karbea Tue 16-Aug-11 09:10:03

Hello,

We've been studying zoopla, property snake etc. We went to view a house on Saturday before the vendor had agree to go with the agent, we suggested a price to the agent, but the vendor ended up going with another agent, we reckon it'll be put on the Market at 100k more than we thought, problem is they are a retired couple with a house in France and have no reason to sell, they are testing the Market apparently sad

I can't live at my Mils for two years!!!

Yourefired Tue 16-Aug-11 09:20:42

I know it's crap. You've hit the nail on the head there are lots of older rich people with no mortgage, money in the bank and no imperative to move. If playing the long game not an option, it's either renting or looking at other areas. Harpenden as mentioned is a good option as is St Albans.

Ealingkate Tue 16-Aug-11 09:24:04

We're moving to the Cotswolds instead - 1hr 20 mins to Paddington!!

Karbea Tue 16-Aug-11 10:27:06

Funnily enough ealingkate we were in the Cotswolds at the weekend and said to dh we could get a studio in central London and a house in the Cotswolds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now