Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Nottingham

(20 Posts)
JaneBennet Fri 12-Aug-11 12:14:03

We're looking at moving back to the UK at some point and DH would really like to be near a big city. We're thinking about Nottingham as we like the area and it's close to relatives. I've done a bit of googling but can't seem to figure out where the 'best' bits to live are. Can anyone help me out? We have primary school aged children.

3isthemagicnumber Fri 12-Aug-11 12:56:14

Im going to stick a vote in for West Bridgford. Lovely family area; great schools, parks, cafes, bars etc. Can be critcised for being a bit up its own arse, yummy mummy/bugaboo land but have to admit i love it.
Prices slightly higher than some other, nice, areas of Nottingham but not compared to national average iyswim.

wibble1 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:22:49

Hi, I can't advise about schools but I've lived in Nottingham for over 10 years so thought I'd finally stop lurking on Mumsnet and say something!

My preference is for south of the river, West Bridgford and Wilford are nice (avoid Clifton). If you don't mind being further south, then there are places like Ruddington - next to a nature reserve and very villagey.

North of the river is problematic - dominated by some infamous estates - though there are nicer areas (e.g. Mapperley, Beeston). Again, if you don't mind living further out, I bet there are much better options. I know that Southwell is lovely - commute might be a bit much though!

I've lived in different areas here but, as I don't have a car, all my options had to be close to the city. I'll be interested to see what other recommendations you get!

Oh, and a new tram line is being built that will run through Compton Acres (next to West Bridgeford), so beware any 'bargains' that will ultimately include a tram on your doorstep... wink

JaneBennet Fri 12-Aug-11 13:29:34

Very useful info, thank you. I've been looking at West Bridgford but am right in understanding that it borders the Meadows? Need to get the map out and have a better look. Hadn't heard of Wilford, will have a look at that area too.

wibble1 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:35:58

The Meadows is across the river from West Bridgford, so there should be no impact from that.

There are some bits bordering WB that might not be so nice. For example, Edwalton - I've heard that it's a bit rough, not sure what it's really like though.

3isthemagicnumber Fri 12-Aug-11 19:43:44

Edwalton is not rough-far from it ( unless you worry about Ken Clark marauding through your streets grin)
The Meadows is over the river, and to be honest the 2 areas are very self contained.
I guess as any where, it all depends on budget.
Beeston is an area popular with first time buyers, Mapperly/Woolaton are 'good' areas too.
Lady Bay is West Bridgford really but because it is over the canal and a main road, slightly cheaper than WB- and lovely too.
You want to avoid Sneinton, St Annes, Hyson Green, Forest fields,and other similar inner city areas as they could be classed as the areas that give Nottingham is slightly dodgier name , unless its The Park-very very exclusively expensive area in the heart of the city next to the castle.

jeanjeannie Sat 13-Aug-11 13:15:36

Another vote for West Bridgeford. My parents still live in Notts..and if I was to move back then West B would be my first choice. I grew up in Chilwell / Beeston - which is ok but can't vouch for the schools...they used to be awful when I went back in the 80s! Other places I like are Wollaton & Bramcote. LOL at 'Ken Clarke marauding through the streets' !

DaisySteiner Sat 13-Aug-11 13:49:57

Ooh, jeanjeannie I bet we must have lived close to one another!

jeanjeannie Sat 13-Aug-11 18:13:47

OOoo Daisy ( peeks nervousy ) you're not an ex-Chilwell comp'er' ... are you ?!

DaisySteiner Sat 13-Aug-11 18:20:38

Hahahaha, no I went to the Girls' High dontcha know.

I expect you're going to say that you are and then beat me up when I get off the bus grin

PuppyMonkey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:34:38

shock Bridgeford!!!

West Bridgford is definitely the location of choice for most <<whispers>> I'm a bit meh about it personally. If you're a multi millionaire, you could always try The Park.

Mapperley Park, Sherwood, Arnold all have nice bits. Quite like Trowell too. Some of the villages heading south or up to Newark maybe?

I live in a v. Nice village in Derbyshire, about two miles from Notts border. work at the local newspaper ( in fact, I'm currently putting together the Property Guide as the normal woman is on hols for 2 weeks). Nothing is selling, everyones renting if you're interested!!

I was born and brought up in Bestwood Park, definitely best avoided. wink

PuppyMonkey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:36:20

Oh yes, Beeston Fields Drive has best houses ever on it. All a million ish.

herbietea Sat 13-Aug-11 18:38:32

Message withdrawn

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 13-Aug-11 18:39:46

Oh...topical. I will be very flexible and moving next year. I will be focussing my search best schools with a good reputation and west bridgeford defibately ticks the box there.

How far out can I be to be in catchement (for the secondary school primarily) but get into slightly cheaper housing?

cjbartlett Sat 13-Aug-11 18:53:40

I grew up there too
I'd recommend Bingham, Radcliffe on Trent , west bridgford, some of cotgrave is lovely, gamston lovely too

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Aug-11 18:56:44

Isn't there a major problem with schools in west bridge ford area been very oversubscribed? I'm sure I read a thread on here about that within the last couple of months.

jeanjeannie Sat 13-Aug-11 19:25:33

OOoooo get you Daisy! (pokes out tongue and belts her with satchel) Nah - I wouldn't have beaten you up - I was too busy with self preservation - I loathed my school with a passion - I was considered 'posh' !! Mind you my parents literally do live round the corner from the road PuppyMonkey mentioned. Ahhh...drinking in 'the Top House' aka The White Lion...takes me back to my yoof grin

DaisySteiner Sat 13-Aug-11 19:29:43

Yes, mine live very close too. Our parents are probably neighbours grin

JaneBennet Sun 14-Aug-11 07:41:39

Some lovely looking houses in The Park, sadly not a millionaire. Will keep looking though as the area is looking promising.

Honeymum Mon 15-Aug-11 08:04:24

There are alternatives to West Bridgford!!

I live in a leafy part of Sherwood. Very handy for town (I'm there in 10 mins on the bus, half an hour if I walk), lots of amenities on the doorstop (great butchers, a couple of good delis, Boots, Co-0p and a number of restaurants) and a couple of very good (primary) schools. We are in easy reach of some lovely countryside to the north (Clumber Park, Rufford Country Park, Sherwood Pines, Newstead Abbey) There is a very arty/creative vibe around here too - as evidenced by Sherwood Art Week. And much more of a social mix than you will find in Bridgford, if that is important to you. If you have more cash to splurge, Mapperley Park is very posh and just across the main road from us.

I do like West Bridgford but my house over the river would be another 50-75k that I don't have.

Secondary schools can be an issue but most people we know seem to send their children to the likes of Redhill, Arnold Hill and Frank Seeley. All of which are accessible though not local. I would imagine you would have to be bang in catchment for Rushcliffe and West Bridgford comps.

The City Council have always been very good at putting on free-ish stuff for kids. I imagine this will start to change, but my kids will be enjoying day-long sports activities for £1 later this month. We've found that Nottingham has been very family friendly.

Good luck with your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now