Talk

Advanced search

Oil tank location

(9 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Thu 11-Aug-11 19:06:16

Am wondering if anyone knows how close or how far oil tanks should be from the house .

am renting and mine is within about 25cm of the lounge wall which actually has open fire not that i use it due to worry about the tank and everything I am reading is saying it should be at least 1.8m away from property .so how concerned should I be considering it holds 3000 litres (old tank no oil gauge to check measurements)

House was extended years ago and orgiannly it would have been about 4 meteres away

Kladdkaka Thu 11-Aug-11 21:14:47

It depends. There has to be something like 30 minutes of fire protection between the tank and the room. Normally this is achieved by the tank being a certain distance away (sorry I can't remember specifics, although you are probably right with 1.8m). If it is closer than that then there has to be a fireproof barrier. Sorry, that's a bit garbled as I studied this before my brain turned to mush.

If you are worried, contact OFTEC, they are to oil as CORGI are to gas.

TheHumanCatapult Thu 11-Aug-11 21:21:41

ty will contact them in the morning .know mine as not been inspected or anything done inthe last 8 years

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 11-Aug-11 21:26:25

Dh (a builder) says to call the building control team at your local council and ask them.

It doesn't meet current regulations, but because of historical reasons it may be ok.

TheHumanCatapult Thu 11-Aug-11 21:42:43

Thank you .will call tomorrow then hopefully can get my Oil redelived .

Could you dh tell me if this applys to oil tanks that serve commercial property to As my oiltank also serves the commercial site restroom and the boiler that runs it all is located in there .

So oil travels from the tank about 5 mtres or so to the boiler in their restroom then heats their water/radiator and then to my house .

So while Im classed as resdential their restroom is commercial .So not sure if differnt rules apply .

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 11-Aug-11 21:47:30

He wouldn't know anything about commercial, sorry.

Hopefully building regs will help you, they are often a great help.

TheHumanCatapult Fri 12-Aug-11 09:53:09

thank you
seems i am fecked it wa snever comminshed there is no liablity certifcate and tank is not stored properly or properly supported

Kladdkaka Fri 12-Aug-11 16:27:32

At least you know now. Surely your landlord needs to do something to sort it out?

TheHumanCatapult Fri 12-Aug-11 16:40:34

yes he should but am waiting till next week when the deliveray he has arrnaged turns up and then is refused and am handing it toenviroment health to deal with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now