Talk

Advanced search

Our bedroom is a disaster zone.....

(9 Posts)
highfive Thu 11-Aug-11 17:50:14

Tried to redecorate but have now stopped as it's awful and probably going to get worse......

In short......has two large built in wardrobes that are off white and in good condition. In between the two wardrobes, there is a space (about the size of a large double wardrobe) so I chose some black embossed flowery wall paper (sounds awful, looks good). So, the dh decided to paint the walls "to match the wardrobes" only got it wrong (I was away) and the walls are sort of creamy, pale yellow...hideous. Then we are stuck with our old curtains and bedcovers because we've run out of money to replace (they are burgundy). You get the picture. Foul. I think we need to repaint the walls at the least (dh agrees) but have no idea what colour due to curtains. ANY ideas/thoughts and inspiration would be welcome. Thanks.

minipie Thu 11-Aug-11 17:51:46

can you link to the wallpaper at all?

does it have any burgundy in it?

stealthsquiggle Thu 11-Aug-11 17:53:50

that is so far removed from the disaster zone of our bedroom I can't begin to be constructive, I am afraid

<<bows out of thread, dreaming of the day when mis-matched decor is all I have to worry about grin>>

highfive Thu 11-Aug-11 19:01:02

I've never done a link before but hopefully this works. It's not the exact wallpaper but it's very similar! No other colours - just black and white....

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=1693021&c_3=3%7Ccat_14115047%7CWallpaper%7C14115052&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849219%7CWallpaper%7C14115047&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CDecorating%7C16849219

minipie Thu 11-Aug-11 19:12:49

Ok so black, white/off white, burgundy are the fixed colours.

I would paint the other walls white or off white - sounds like you don't want any more colours in the mix (and it's cheap smile) Or you could go for a pale grey, very fashionable for walls at the moment.

Then maybe use the burgundy to tie it all together in some way. For example, maybe get a cheap picture frame or mirror and paint the frame burgundy? and hang that on the "feature" wall or one of the plain walls. And then some black or white cushions on the bed. Black and white photos or posters would also go well with the wallpaper.

Alternatively, curtains and bedcovers can be dyed in the washing machine, if they are cotton or another natural fibre. For example you could go for a deep purple/aubergine colour by using a dark blue dye with burgundy curtains. (bit of a gamble though!)

highfive Thu 11-Aug-11 19:23:35

Minipie, I totally agree re. the off white on the walls. I think this is what dh was trying to achieve but chose "cream" rather than off white. My only concern is whether this will be a "cold" room with all the white/off white. If the burgundy curtains were not in the mix, what would you recommend? My mother in law has offered to buy us some new curtains for my birthday (which I'm OK with!).... would a darker grey on the walls work with the paper? I really like this colour.........

www.housetohome.co.uk/bedroom/picture/sophisticated-grey-bedroom?room_colour=grey&room_style=modern

But no clue re. curtains. I could do something with our plain white duvet cover if needs be...

minipie Thu 11-Aug-11 19:43:02

No, don't think it will be cold. But I guess it could be a bit harsh with just black/white. You're right, grey would be a good addition. Could be quite dark though? Maybe a pale grey?

If you do go for a darker grey on the walls, I'd keep everything else (ie curtains) fairly light otherwise the room could be really dark. Curtains could be in a very pale grey?

I also think light greens work very well with black/white/grey. see this image search

minipie Thu 11-Aug-11 19:43:46

ps how nice of your MIL!

highfive Fri 12-Aug-11 10:32:45

Thanks Minipie. Yes, I like the green with it too. I'm off to get a couple of tester pots in the grey to see if dh likes it! Thanks so much for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now