Talk

Advanced search

doors and skirtins keep turning yellow help

(12 Posts)
lilly153 Wed 10-Aug-11 09:54:52

m using dulux wood paint and gave atleast two coats but everything keeps turning a horrible shade of yellow just looks dirty, nobody in house smokes
Any ideas

lubeybooby Wed 10-Aug-11 09:56:33

use the B&Q everwhite range? I don't use anything else now.

pepperrabbit Wed 10-Aug-11 10:00:26

If people previously smoked in the house the nicotine can keep coming through for years <bitter experience>
We used a special bottom coat, possibly oil based sealant type, then painted white over the top.

lilly153 Wed 10-Aug-11 10:00:47

Will that keep it white and stop it from going like the dulux stuff?

lilly153 Wed 10-Aug-11 10:03:13

I was thinking maybe it was because of previouse smokers but when I moved in they were white so don't Think it could be that sad

pepperrabbit Wed 10-Aug-11 10:27:40

It takes a while for the stain to seep through so if they'd painted it fresh before you moved in you wouldn't have noticed.
Our doors and skirtings are ok now but we get patches on the walls - above the windows for example where it looks like it's dripping through but is solid and dry - totally foul.
Only alternative is to sand back to wood I suppose? Apparently we need to replaster to get ris of ours, it's too deeply ingrained in the walls.

baabaapinksheep Wed 10-Aug-11 10:52:09

I have the same problem, it only happens on the areas that don't get any light confused for example if I put something on the windowsill after a few weeks the paint is slightly yellow underneath.

Nothing to do with smoking, my house was brand new when I moved in and I don't smoke! No idea what causes it though.

Reality Wed 10-Aug-11 10:54:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilly153 Wed 10-Aug-11 13:01:54

what make of eggshell did u use reality?

Reality Wed 10-Aug-11 18:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ceres Wed 10-Aug-11 20:38:05

is it oil based gloss? oil based paint tends to yellow fairly quickly.

you could use water based gloss - it stays white but is not quite so hard wearing as oil based gloss.

menagerie Fri 12-Aug-11 14:01:31

When I used eggshell it looked like I'd given up after the undercoat. So I redid the kitchen woodwork in gloss white and it's already yellowing after only two months (Dulux again!) Will try that everwhite stuff next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now