Talk

Advanced search

Do you think there is any chance the National Trust would sell a property they aren't using and is in very bad condition?

(10 Posts)
LaWeasel Sat 06-Aug-11 21:11:02

Apart from a huge amount of work, it would also probably need rezoning for change of use. confused

It's not a big property - and we are optimistically hoping it isn't actually worth very much. (can only get a small mortgage atm) Don't know whether we'd be mad for even trying to approach them about it!

Ingles2 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:13:02

nothing ventured nothing gained and all that, so definitely ask..
but there has to be a reason this property is NT, something they would be interested in, so the chances are they won't sell.

Ingles2 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:15:30

Dh says they might sell, but it would be under covenant.

Georgimama Sat 06-Aug-11 21:16:37

They probably can't due to agreement made when property originally gifted. You can ask though.

LaWeasel Sat 06-Aug-11 21:23:54

Thanks - I'm sure it was given as part of something else (according to their records it was bought by them in the same transaction as something much bigger) They maintain the big thing - but not the little part we are interested in.

It is a lovely building in itself, so maybe it is just bottom of the list of everything else they own?!

GrendelsMum Sat 06-Aug-11 21:30:45

They might be planning to do it up for holiday rentals or staff accommodation, but it's got to be worth trying.

herhonesty Sun 07-Aug-11 07:06:44

Do try, but having spent time talking to the nt about a property my mil was trying to buy, they aren't exactly helpful. You should also consider the covenants that they would put in place around the property - ie non renewable long term leases which may make the property commercially unviable

EdithWeston Sun 07-Aug-11 07:35:22

It's v v unlikely they would sell (they keep estates intact), and I've got a feeling that as an organisation they are simply not allowed to (and will occasionally turn down bequests because they do not have the means to maintain the property).

That said, always worth a try! They do lease out some properties; length of tenure and amount of rent varies. You might strike lucky and find a deal acceptable all round.

LaWeasel Sun 07-Aug-11 08:23:56

I wouldn't have a problem with covenants related to how the building was kept/restored/maintained/looked etc - but I wouldn't want a 99 year leasehold type situation, there is just too much work to do to not have the security of it being properly ours.

It does feel like a long chance that they would even consider selling, but the building has been empty for 30 years now and they've not done anything at all, so we'll give it a go, and see if they laugh at us!

herhonesty Sun 07-Aug-11 08:35:00

thats exactly what it will be - and unfortunately the usual rules regarding right to extend leases dont apply.

that said, they might sell outright - good luck, keep us up to date, i love a good refurb story!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now