Talk

Advanced search

I am defeated by Pink. Any suggestions?

(21 Posts)
LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 11:11:52

I've got it into my head that the sitting room in our house needs to be painted but the room is going to be converted into a kitchen in about eighteen months so it's a chance to do a colour I wouldn't normally do.

Except me, this is an all male household and generally I'm not that into pink but I thought I'd have a pink room once and just see. We'll only have to live with it for a short while - but OTOH, we will need to live with it.

I'm not a 'fun' or 'contemporary' decorator so I'm keen to avoid garishness. But subtle tastefulness is also a waste of opportunity. I can't be bothered with Hint of Pink.

Is there another way?!

colditz Sat 06-Aug-11 11:16:23

Dirty pink is lovely- not garish, not subtle

www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=dirty+pink&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1024&bih=629&tbm=isch&tbnid=YAH2Kgg-aYH2lM:&imgrefurl=http://fxcosmetics.co.uk/products/subproducts.php%253Fi%253D0090&docid=eSBhz4TFZ1f6fM&w=335&h=300&ei=XRQ9Trz1KdDMswbdyYEk&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=522&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=181&start=0&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=74&ty=121

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 11:21:02

I like it. Should I just cover the walls in kisses? I'll need to draft in some help, I think.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Sat 06-Aug-11 11:27:04

Off white with one wall of raspberry pink? Strong and funky, not wishy washy at all

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 11:34:45

This time, there will be no off white! My default setting is white. I will break free!

In two years time the room will be back to white (I think) but for now I'm trying to push my boundaries. If I can only find the right shade. I've put all the F&B's on the wall but still nothing grabs me.

said Sat 06-Aug-11 12:28:58

You need a Leyland colour chart - much more detailed. Do you want a strong, strong pink or a pink that's pink but not blush iykwim?

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 12:45:29

What about a plaster colour V elegant

said Sat 06-Aug-11 12:48:26

Really? I'm sitting surrounded by plaster and was only wondering this morning why anyone would choose to paint it Setting Plaster. It would still feel unfinished.

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 12:51:47

When it is paint the colour is more dense and looks great against pure white and wood.

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 12:52:42

craig and rose do a nice one

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 12:55:23

Noddy, do you have one you can recommend? Also, I've been trying to remember the range you recommended on another thread last week - begining with 'M' I think(?)

I like the white wood work. I've just been and looked at all the samples on my wall and was wondering if I could tone the wood work to make the F&B ones better but think I'll get the visual maths wrong.

I'd like a strong colour, but not necessarily a bright colour. (Does that even make sense?!)

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 12:59:06

Malabar paints are lovely but I haven't seen any of the pinks.

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 13:00:25

On the C & R did you mean one of these - this or this?

Does anyone have any experience of the Paint Library? This one might be too blue here

A key aim is to avoid looking like a five year old's Dream Bedroom.

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 13:02:43

Alhambra stone is lovely on craig and rose.

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 13:03:05

Like that rose Is it a period house?

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 13:06:50

1700s. Quite a big room. The reason I can go crazy is it's just shutters so I don't need to worry about curtains. The furniture is mismatched eclectic.

Malabar paints are lovely lovely. Did you say they come up with a dense finish?

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 13:10:35

Is this a colour with enough 'conviction' IYKWIM?

noddyholder Sat 06-Aug-11 13:21:17

They have a very dense finish I think they are the most matt you can buy off the shelf.Chalky and high pigment I love pink in an old house doesn't really work anywhere else without looking somehow wrong. That blush is lovely Goes well with white and natural stone/linen type colours

LemonDifficult Sat 06-Aug-11 13:35:54

I've ordered Blush and Rosa samples from Malabar, I've also requested a paint chart. I'm hoping to drop into B&Q later and I'll get the Alhambra Stone.

Thanks for all they replies everyone. I'll let you know how the samples look.

LemonDifficult Tue 09-Aug-11 10:38:28

Ooooh, Malabar samples arrived. Waiting for them to dry but they do look good. Not as dark as in the web pictures so I phoned the company and they were lovely and are sending me out some chips.

Rosa is now the front runner (although may still be too blueish for what I need) but Blush is fab and I'm going to have to think of somewhere in the house to put it. It's a pink/white but intense IYSWIM.

LemonDifficult Sat 13-Aug-11 14:50:36

I think I've found it - Bertie's Best It's from Little Greene Paints. Strong but not garish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now